Free Cupcake Busy Bag instructions and pattern download

We signed up to be a part of another Busy Bag Swap recently–this time doing a felt cupcake Busy Bags. And since all of you enjoyed the Clothesline Busy Bag downloadable I shared in May, Joy from FiveJs.com put together another pattern, instructions, and download for the Cupcake Busy Bag.

If you’re unfamiliar with Busy Bags, basically, they are ziptop bags with a simple project or game to keep young children busy. It’s so helpful to have things like this put together to pull out when I need to be working one-on-one homeschooling Kathrynne or when the children come to me asking what they can do. Instead of having to wrack my brain, I can just pull out a pre-packaged project and get them started on it.

Kaitlynn (4) especially loved making the cupcakes. She’s our artistic child who is already trying to concoct recipes on her own, so this was right up her alley!

We bought the felt at Hobby Lobby and the bags at Dollar Tree. All told, these definitely cost less than $1 per bag.

Our box of 30 bags ready to ship!

Free Downloadable Cupcake Busy Bag Kit

If you’d like to put together a Cupcake Busy Bag for your children, you can download the complete kit here. It includes free patterns, instructions on putting together the bag, instructions to stick inside the bag, and some ideas on variations of ways to use this bag. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Stacey says

Just as the end of the week approaches, I find myself running out of ideas for craft projects/ fun for the kiddos, and here you are once again to my rescue! You are my hero :) Thanks for all you do! I am also going to attempt this as an ice cream cone / dish for an up coming ice cream party we are hosting.

2. Alyssa says

Okay, so what’s the deal with shipping 30 of them? Is there like a sharing ring of busy bags? Would love to see!

We are heading to get felt tomorrow! With the temperatures so high here, we need more activities to do in the late afternoon. I love it! Thanks!

4. Leslie says

I think we are in the same swap….yours looks much more impressive than mine. Guess I will work on mine some more. Lol.

Hi, We are in that swap too…yours are so cute. I didn’t take a picture of mine but I made felt boards and the build a flower kit. Hope your daughter enjoys ours too…we did a little scene—grass, sun, a couple of flowers, leaves, stem. Plus a little zebra print on the boards. LOL

I am doing the preschool swap now for my daughter. I can’t wait to have 30 new activities in her homeschool room this year.

We just moved into a neighborhood that has a great play group in place. I see birthday parties in our future! In addition to homemade paint and play dough, I am going to put together a few busy bags for gifts too. That way, when a party comes up, I can grab a couple Busy Bags, a homemade craft item, and maybe a book if I find one under $0.50. In all, I see these gifts costing me $3 tops!

7. Kim Shaffer says

I’m in the same preschool busy bag swap and did the cupcakes too! I decided to add some bling from my craft/sewing stash as toppings… a.k.a. I was lazy and didn’t want to cut any more felt! It was nice to use up some leftovers I had on hand from other projects too. Each bag got 1 candle, 2 pieces ric rac, 3 strings of pearls, 4 jewels, 5 beads, and 6 buttons. I spent $8 on the jewels and beads at Michaels and $5 on additional felt at JoAnns. The quality is much higher when you buy felt-by-the-yard as opposed to individual sheets and it goes on sale quite frequently.

• Meagan says

Ooohhh! I’m in the same swap with you… can’t wait to get your bag. Kids are going to go nuts over the “cupcake bling”. :)

8. Cassie R says

Thanks for posting this! I have been patiently waiting for your download form of the cupcake busy bag after I heard you were doing it. My child loves all the busy bags that I have created so far, but it never hurts to have more!

9. Hope says

Thanks for posting. I am using some of these ideas to keep my little one busy this fall. It’s a simple idea, but I appreciated the pattern just the same!

10. Beth says

Very cute! I am thinking of doing a sweet shop theme for my daughter’s birthday and these would be a great and cheap addition to the favor bags :). Thanks!

11. jessica says

i too signed up for the swap.. luck yours didnt cost much mine was a good $2.00 per bag:( i must have picked the wrong idea:( but i am SUPER excited about receiving my 30 bags:)

• Larissa says

I did the cupcakes too, and though they’re cheap they’re also TIME CONSUMING making 30 bags. So don’t feel too bad.

I love this idea! I am working on our home school plans now and was trying to think of “projects” for my 3-year old. I would really enjoy a post with more ideas on keeping toddlers busy while you home school older siblings. :-)

Also, my six year old is learning to sew and she asked if she can sew the cupcakes and toppings together. I said, “Definitely!” I’m going to let her sew one cupcake while my 2 year old uses a glue stick on another. They will be able to put these in their school binders, and we’ll make enough cupcakes so they can have a bag to use to just put together and take back apart for fun.

Thank you for the printables and ideas!

• Dineen says

Thanks for the sewing idea! My 3 year old is great at sewing cards and is always asking for new ones. I was thinking she was ready to actually sew two layers. She just saw the photos of these and so now I have a great idea.

13. Sue says

I would love to do a swap..could you share the group that does this? I have 3.5 grandchildren and teach preschool and this looks like fun!!

14. Kelly says

Love this Crystal. Thanks again for good ideas to spur creativity on the cheap. While our house has two working parents, opposite shifts, I can make these up so daddy has something creative to do with our 2-year-old daughter during the day.

15. Michele says

I’m sending my swap bags off today also! we did the play-doh number mats! I’m super excited to see what all we get back!! :)

16. lori says

We did the swap too – lots of fun even making the bags! Please continue to keep us posted about the busy bag swaps. I would love to make/get some more appropriate for my 6-year-old. The one we mailed off yesterday is perfect for my 3-year-old.

I just signed up to make this for my FIRST busy bag swap! So excited! My little guy loves to bake with me, so I think he will love this activity!

18. Rebecca says

Thanks for the fun idea, we too are in one of the swaps, but since I had felt I went ahead and made a bag today. So cute! I must admit I played with it too :). And way to go, that was lots of cutting, can’t imagine doing 30 sets!

19. Donna says

I so love this. This was forwarded to be on facebook and I see so much potential in using this in my community. I am the chairperson for our local Relay for Life and have a fair number of children involved due to our school involvement and the fact that quite a few of our cancer survivors are children. I noticed that it says for personal use only, so I want to check and see if this can be used for non-profit use. I can’t think of a better way for someone to send a greeting or just a note of happiness then with a cupcake they’ve made themselves.

You are in my swap group, Crystal, and now I am super excited to get all of the bags back! These cupcakes are so cute! My daughter will love them. I got all of my bags sent off today (Popsicle color match). Can’t wait to have all of these activities to pull out for my kiddos to do. :) Thanks for sharing your cupcake pattern.

21. Beth says

After reading about your last busy bag swap, I organized one locally with some mom friends and acquaintances. We decided to make a few extra to give to a few children we knew that are sick with cancer, to help them get through long days stuck on the hospital and clinic. I thought it was such a good idea at the time and hoped to get some moms together to make more for sick kids in the future. Little did know at the time that 3 weeks ago, our life would be flipped upside down as my 2 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive childhood cancer called neuroblastoma. Now, this cause is not only dear to my heart…it IS my heart. All you creative ladies out there, please consider making a few extra busy bags, the next time you do your swaps, to donate to a children’s hospital. We are now intimately aware of how these little things can mean so much to a child stuck in the hospital. Thank you.

• Donna says

Beth – if you haven’t done so already – reach out to the American Cancer Society on their 800 number. They have some great resources to help with parents coping with the diagnosis of a little one. I love your idea of making them for children who are sick and going through treatment – I hadn’t taken it that far but it is an AMAZING idea. Thank you!!!! I am also so sorry to hear about your wee ones diagnosis. Hugs and good thoughts coming your way!

22. jessica says

This is great, Crystal. I missed this first time around. Thank you so much for posting!!!!

I am so excited to go to Hobby Lobby now!

If I can get there and make a couple of bags for my kiddos, I would be so happy to give them something to do while I work (from home). This is just great!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great idea! I do a lot of Celebrations, and my girls would love to have something like this to do when I am working on Party stuff. How fun!