This recipe is so flexible and forgiving; we adapt it based upon what we have on hand and what we get on sale. It’s been a favorite of ours for many years!
- Fritos (or any other off-brand corn chips, crushed tortilla chips also work as a stand-in)
- Lettuce, shredded or finely chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped (I also sometimes substitute canned tomatoes if I’ve gotten a great deal on them.)
- Taco Meat (brown ground beef with chopped onions and taco seasoning) mixed with cooked pinto beans
- Shredded cheese (we typically use cheddar)
- Canned black olives (sliced or chopped), optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Guacamole (or chopped avocado), optional
Set out haystack toppings (we usually keep the taco meat in a crock pot or saucepan on the stove so it stays warm) and let everyone layer their own toppings on their individual plates in the order they prefer. Enjoy!
Growing up, we served this more times than I can count when we had a big group of guests over. It’s great paired with a fruit salad and Green Rice Casserole .
By the way, if you’re the kind of person who prefers exact measurements, I found this recipe on AllRecipes  that is similar to the one we make.