Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Dryer Sheets

Live Renewed shows you how to make homemade dryer sheets.

Comments

1. Tammy says

Another way to use the home made dryer sheets. Instead of presoaking the fabric, use a spray bottle and spritz the fabric before you throw it in the dryer. You can do this over and over until you want to wash the fabric which builds up on the sheet. It saves even more by not soaking the fabric first.

2. Amy Thetford says

I actually use the Duggar’s recipe. I bought some very inexpensive fabric softener (still smells yummy) and poured it into a cheapo mop bucket, and diluted it with two full bottles of water, cut 3 adorable pink sponges in half and I throw one or two in with each load. It cost me $6 for everything (bucket was $1.97, fabric softener $1.99, and sponges $1.50) and it will last forever! I have just recently decided to start hang drying most of my laundry though, so I may not need any more fabric softener if this becomes a regular thing. We live in a small apartment, so I’m not sure how long I can do it. Hopefully it will be a habit that sticks. Our electric bill has been outrageously high, and it’s been averaging 110 degrees here almost everyday. We are in the middle of a bad drought (we are in Texas) so we have had unbearably hot weather. So, any means of keeping the house cool is helpful. I am also avoiding turning on the oven as much as possible.

3. Whitney says

I use dryer balls – it’s been fabulous not to have to buy/DIY/think about any dryer sheets ever again!

4. Ashley says

I read somewhere about using only 1/2 a dryer sheet. I use 7th generation and only use 1/2 sheet each time. It has helped me save.

5. Jserre says

I use the Duggar recipe too. 1/2 liquid softener, 1/2 water with a cut up sponge~ works GREAT!

6. Carol says

I use a baby wipe dispenser for my cloths and I buy really cheap
    (.69 cents) hair conditioner and dilute it with 3x water for my softener.
    works great and smells good too!!

7. chelsea says

I use a tennis ball and it works great on static. If the clothes start to cling when I remove them, I know its time for a new ball. I’m not sure how long one ball lasts, since we rotate them because my kids like to swipe them from the dryer and I find them all over the house! But I haven’t bought dryer sheets in like 2 years, so I guess one pack of tennis balls lasts at least that long.