Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos

Freezer-Friendly-Breakfast-Burritos

My husband loves McDonald’s Breakfast Burritos and I’ve been hoping I could create a homemade version he’d like, as well. These Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos were my first attempt and Jesse absolutely loved them.

I’m not a huge breakfast burrito fan, but I have to say, I think this recipe is a winner. In fact, I can see myself sneaking these from the freezer for mid-morning snack. :)

They are perfect for breakfast-on-the-go, and they are probably loads healthier than the McDonald’s Breakfast Burritos. One thing is for sure, they are significantly less expensive. From my calculations, they would cost around $0.45 per burrito using regularly-priced ingredients from Aldi. If you were able to get some of the ingredients on sale, they could be quite a bit less than that.

Comments

1. Sonja says

If planning to freeze them, do you bake them first? Or is that just for eating “fresh”?

Nope, just freeze since they are fully cooked. That’s just how I’d bake them if I were going to serve these for dinner or brunch to a group.

For serving individually, just freeze and then microwave to reheat.

• Sonja says

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a recipe for my husband’s breakfasts. He will LOVE these!

• Karen says

Thanks for this recipe! I’m always looking for new different ideas for my husbands breakfasts and he also loves McDonalds breakfasts!

• Kim says

Does freezing cooked bacon work well? I have never tried that… And turkey or pork bacon?

I have had good success with it. Just be careful not to cook it too done in the first place. I was thinking bacon in these sounded good, too!

• Kari says

Freezing bacon works wonderfully! We actually bake all of ours off at once, and then freeze it. When we want a couple of slices, we simply microwave them for a few seconds and it tastes freshly cooked!

2. Jeanie C says

Great idea. I used to make freezer friendly biscuit sandwiches for my kids.

3. Kourtnie says

How long do you think they can be kept them in the freezer? (not how long before they get eaten LOL)

4. Raquel says

So Cool! I am dying to try this out. My husband eats out everyday for work, so this will save us a lot of money.

5. Casey Lester says

I have been making these for my husband for a few years now, they are quick and easy for him in the mornings when he has to leave super-early for work, and they fit in our camper freezer well when he is on the road working. I sometimes even get requests to send extras with him for his co-workers! (He is a pipeline heavy equipment operator).

You can really make them with any type of meat…hubby likes sausage or left over bacon pieces in his. He also likes potatoes, so I use a bag of the potatoes o’brien, which already has the peppers and onions in it, for a big batch. Also, a hint…if you use a little bit of water in the eggs instead of milk, they will actually cook fluffier and go further!

6. Dianne O. says

Do you let all this cool before you freeze them?? I love breakfast burritoes and am looking for a cheap breakfast to take to work with me. Never thought of these!!

7. Darryl says

Being a night shift worker, my biggest diet downfall is what I eat when I get home. Unfortunately I don’t feel like cooking anything so I’ll eat about 600 calories of left overs and I’m in bed shortly after that. I do like breakfast burritos so I will definitely give this a try. Thanks Crystal!

You read my mind! I was just thinking about doing these and was wondering how hard it would be. Thank you SO much!

9. Jessica Wilhite says

My husband loves breakfast burritos & I have made several batches for him to take to work for breakfast over the past 6 months. They are so simple to make and very inexpesive. I make mine with either ham or bacon, depending on what I have at that time. This posts reminds me I need to make more since we haven’t had any for awhile! :)

10. Amy says

Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband loves McDonalds burritos as well and I’d much rather him eat one that’s a little easier on the wallet and the waist. :)

11. Abigail Danielsen says

Homemade breakfast burritos are a staple in my husband’s lunches. He loves them! I make regular scrambled eggs, add crumbled sausage, plenty of salsa & enough cheese to make everything yummy. They are a snap to make. Using fresh veggies is great, but the salsa cuts out the need for butter or the time it takes to chop and saute’.

I’m am all about freezer cooking! Thanks for such a great recipe!! As a homeschooling momma to five easy breakfasts are a must in this house!!

13. Amber Erwin says

Shhesh i dont know why I never thought of this! LOL i usually have to make my husband breakfast the night before or he just settles for cold cereal! I will be doing this soon!

I’m also wondering what size? I’m definitely going to make a version of these for my husband. He will definitely like them. :)

• Robbfamily7 says

I think it’s all about preference for tortilla size. My hubby like his big, with burrito sized tortillas. I like mine smaller, and don’t like the extra tortilla that the burrito ones have. So I use soft taco size for mine. We actually do both at the same time, making some of them big, and some small.

• My Boaz's Ruth says

I’m wondering what size tortillas to use to make 3-yr old portion sizes *wry* My husband won’t eat eggs but my son is always wanting eggs and I think this may be a way to help him have it without my husband having to cook it (which causes him breathing problems)

• Erin says

If your three year old actually eats like a three year old (and not an adult, like my son did), definitely use the taco size.

14. Leah says

These are a great idea for new moms. A friend of mine made me a bunch of breakfast burritos when my daughter was born and they were a life saver! You can feed the baby while eating them (a feat to behold!). She wrapped them individually in foil and I would warm them in the oven. You really can’t over bake them, so if you need to do one more diaper change before eating them it will be fine. :)

I’m vegetarian so my friend didn’t use ham but left some plain and put spinach in some – super yummy!

• Kristine says

We don’t eat meat at home (only occasionally when we go out or eat at someone’s house). Spinach would be really good in a veggie version of these. I love potatoes in breakfast burritos, too.

15. Meredith says

Crystal you’re killin’ me! LOL 1st you make me miss having an Aldi’s around – 2nd you post a recipe using cheese (I have to go dairy free for nursing…) AND post yummy looking pix?! SO MEAN! LOL (JK of course – they look great!!)

• K says

Try a vegetable protein cheese if you are missing it. I’m severely lactose intolerant (and vegan now anyway,) and this is what I use. Galaxy brand actually has some coupons out on their website right now. Looks, smells, and tastes just like the real thing, but completely dairy free!

• Meredith says

Well how sweet are you?! I can’t have anything soy either (husband is allergic to it, so while nursing can’t have it…) but I can have rice cheese – and in fact – I just bought a package of the rice vegan cheddar the other day. It held up really well in a burrito pie I make, but I tried it plain (melted) inside of a tortilla – HUGE mistake. Yuck central LOL maybe it will work melted inside of something like this too though. I had looked to see if their website had coupons the other day but I didn’t see anything; now I’m seeing through another blog that you have access if you sign up for emails, which I am fof to do. Any tips you have would be SO appreciated – I’ve never had it till now and I’m guessing there’s a learning curve to working with rice cheese :D

• K says

I haven’t tried the rice yet…now I’m scared, lol!

I so wish I could offer any advice, but I’m still learning a lot about this too. I’ll have to try the rice one and see how different it is from what I usually get.

But so glad you got the coupons! I love when out of the ordinary coupons pop up. Congrats on the little one!

• Brandi says

My son recently had to be taken off dairy, and I haven’t been able to find any “special” cheese as he calls it. Do you have to go to the health food store to get either the vegetable protein cheese or the rice cheese? Or am I missing it at Wal-Mart? Thanks!

I have found Daiya “cheese”. It’s made with tapioca flour and it dairy and soy free. It tastes good and melts just like regular cheese. It comes in cheddar and mozzarella flavors.

Oh, and I have to go to Natural Grocers to find Daiya. HEB & Walmart don’t carry it.

Walmart does carry Best Life buttery baking sticks (dairy free), though and those are the only baking sticks I’ve been able to find here in my hometown.

• Brandi says

Thanks so much, Heather! I checked the Daiya website and they sell it at a couple stores in my area and I’ll definitely be making a trip to get some.

have you tried Daiya cheese? dd eats it because she cant have soy or dairy either. and when i was nursing her in the beginning it ws really bad, i just completely cut it out bc i didnt like any dairy substitutes for me. but keep an eye on ur dairy, around 13 months, i was able to introduce small amunts of eggs, dairy, nuts and soy into my diet (dd has allergies to all)…and it no longer affected her. good luck.

Crystal, what is your guess on oven time / temp on thawing / reheating if one does not have a microwave? Do you think they should thaw overnight or just go straight into the oven? We got rid of our microwave when we moved cross-country two years ago and use the oven, toaster oven, and crockpot for all our cooking.

17. charity crawford says

Oh thank you for posting this recipe. They look great…Hubby will love these.

18. Sara Henderson says

These look great! What size tortilla did you use? I never know whether to buy 6, 8, or 10 inch!

19. Stephanie says

Why wrap in foil as well if you aren’t using the foil to reheat them? Does it keep it moist?

• emily says

To wrap them individually so you can control servings, prevent them from sticking together in freezer bags, and ultimately avoid freezer burn.

• Robbfamily7 says

We wrap ours in a paper towel, and then in plastic wrap. Then we just throw the whole thing in the microwave to cook.

20. Amanda H. says

This is just what I have been looking for for my kids in the mornings. My daughter will be able to heat up her own easily. Thanks so much!

21. Jennifer says

I can’t wait to try this. Having moved back to Australia after living in Texas (and being from the US originally) I miss Mexican food and cook it all the time from scratch at home since we have nothing resembling real Mexican food down here. Unfortunately it’s not going to work out to 45c/burrito for me as food is sooooooooo expensive here and they don’t have coupons!!! Eggs are currently $4-$5/dozen – and that’s caged. I found Free Range eggs for $3.50/dozen the other day and bought 3 dozen and have been baking up a storm.

BTW – I love the new layout of recipes with the bright background and “print” tab. Great work!

22. Tracey says

Most of the Mexican restaurants here in Central California serve breakfast burritos with some potato in them. They usually have eggs, potato, bacon or sausage, salsa and sometimes cheese. When making my own, I usually will microwave a large baker and let it cool and then cube it up and add to the other ingredients. Or use any leftover potato you might have, even mashed potatoes.

23. Susan C. in NY says

These look great. My kids would like these and in the fall my oldest will start middle school which begins at 7:30 so something like this would be great–she can eat it on the way to school if we’re running late (which I’m sure we will be the first few weeks :-)).

BTW, what size tortillas did you use?

Thanks for the great recipe.

I’m going to try powdered eggs in this recipe. They don’t work by themselves but are excellent mixed in dishes and since this recipe is flavorful, they might work. I’ll let you know.

• Whitney A says

I’d love to know how the powdered eggs turn out! I have some I need to use up…

When I make these, I use sausage for the meat, and get the frozen red, green pepper, and onion diced veggies out of the freezer section. (They are usually about a $1 per bag for the mixture of three at Dillon’s) A lot cheaper than fresh peppers. I recommend individually wrapping in wax paper, before you freeze, then you can just reheat them in the microwave for on the go.

26. Megan says

I love this recipe idea! It would be perfect for the days I work the early morning shift! Thanks!

27. Renee says

We make breakfast burros all the time at our house and freeze them often. One thing I do differnetly that works for me is I under cook the egg just slightly, then when reheating in the microwave the egg finishes cooking and is not getting over done. Thanks for another great recepie Crystal.

28. JenD says

I love breakfast wraps. Tim Horton’s sells the best, I think. They have a spoonful of a truly zesty sauce that makes all the difference. I substitute for this when I do homemade, by using a teaspoon of Olde Cape Cod brand “Chipotle Ranch” dressing. It only takes a scraping across the tortilla to give it amazing flavor. Yum!

Just logged into this site to learn how to get into Extreme Coupons..I am 65 *a very very young 65* hehe..and I have been using coupons since the late 60′s before most of you were born. My daughters, Joy and Jennifer use to go to the store with me on double coupon day and I would (they say “make” them hold the coupons)..neither one use coupons to this day..also I so enjoyed your postings on freezer foods. I live alone with my two white cats and we are all pretty easy to please.. I love to cook, but is so hard to cook for just one, so often I will get in Kitchen and make dishes I can freeze in my “Food Saver” which is a “life saver”. also make scratch potato soul with ‘sprinkles’ my awesome 82 year mother still make, which is pea size dumpling, and I finally perfected it. I make chili (am in Texas), many southwestern dishes so yummy with all that gooey cheese..meat loaf, roast, pulled pork BBQ and they all freeze so well. I even, believe it or not, freeze my made from scratch chicken salad..my Mom said it could not be done, but I do it all the time and share it with my daughter who lives near me. You just have to let it thaw in the fridge and not in microwave. So, girls, when I get in from work and am too tired to even make me scrambled eggs, I just go to the freezer and pull something out, defrost, heat, and I am ready to go. It is so good to hear so many of you girls conserving by freezing, am so glad as it gives you more time with your family during the week. Hope to chat again..Jeannie

• rs says

Jeannie, I LOVE hearing your wisdom and encouragement – thank you for taking the time to share it! You sound like a Titus 2 woman, coming alongside the younger generation and cheering them on. Enjoy this site. Crystal does a wonderful job. :)

30. Shelia says

When I reheat frozen tortilla items, they stick to the paper towel or plate. Any suggestions? (I’ve done this several times with the brown bag burritos and would love to try these as well)

Thank you for this recipe! I’ve never made food ahead to freeze for later before, but I want to start. These would be perfect for my fiance. He loves those McDonald’s breakfast burritos too.

32. Kelly says

I usually make these once a month for my husband and I to take to work for breakfast, however I replace the ham with ground sausage. I just brown the sauage in a separate pan and then add to the egg/vege mixture when they are all cooked through. I also don’t wrap mine in paper towels or foil, just pack them in to a freezer bag. They have always turned out fine.

• Kelly says

Forgot to mention that recently I have started making these with whole wheat tortillas and they are just as good!

I also like to make these up for a friends or family when they have surgery/baby/funeral etc. They often get so many casseroles for dinner, but then breakfast comes around and they have nothing that is quick and easy to heat up.

This sounds great! My son has a hard time getting up and ready in the mornings, and then he struggles to finish a bowl of cereal in time to go catch the bus. These would be great for him to take on the go. I, admittedly, am not a morning person. Because of that, I have a hard time actually getting up to cook in the morning. However, I will happily pop one of these in the microwave! Thanks for sharing.

34. Jennifer says

We add pototoes to ours and it helps stretch the eggs even farther. A little sour cream helps keep them nice and moist!

35. Shelley says

As a former McD employee (in my high school/college) years, I wanted to share a flavor trick with you. The original Breakfast Burritos from McDs had canned green chilis in them along with onions, tomatoes, sausage, cheese, and egg. I love making these for my hubby. You have inspired me to make a batch as it has been quite some time since my last freezer cooking spree.

36. Robbfamily7 says

We love making these. Hubby and I do it assembly style. We make a HUGE batch at once. Usually using 3-4 dozen eggs, 2 lbs of sausage, and 2lbs of cheese. We always keep a few in the fridge, they reheat faster that way. When the fridge is low, I just pull a few out of the freezer and restock. With 4 growing boys, they don’t last long. Luckily my girls don’t care for them or they’d never even make it to the freezer. We also wrap them in a paper towel, then plastic wrap. That way you can throw the whole thing in the microwave.

37. Autumn says

We made these this morning Crystal and Yumo!! So so good. Ate one each and froze the rest. Thanks for all these great easy recipes and just so you know I’ve made at least 10 of your recipes from muffins to pancakes and a casserole and they have all been a hit. :)

38. Jennifer says

Hey! My husband worked at McDonalds during high school/college and he told me that the McDonalds breakfast burritos are just egg, sausage crumbles and Rotel.
    Can’t wait to try this recipe!!

39. Suzette says

Here’s something else to try… when you make breakfast burritos (in the oven) cover them with equal parts of brown gravy and salsa mixed together. I know it sounds bad, but it is really good. I used to work for a restaurant and that was their “secret sauce”.