Frugal Mother’s Day Idea: Tin Can Treats

Looking for a pick-me-up to give to a special mom in your life? How about giving them a Tin Can Treat? I loved this idea!

Have a fun and frugal Mother’s Day idea? Leave a comment or email it to me and I’ll consider posting it.

Comments

1. Laura says

I am going to be doing a variation of this for my hubby. He is deployed with the Marines and this would travel well.

• Melissia says

Laura,
      Please extend thanks from my family to your husband & those he is deployed with. Our thoughts & prayers for their safe return.

2. Kerry says

I heart this idea! My step-son’s mother will love it! :) Looks very easy to do and CHEAP! I can see these being great end of the year gifts for teachers too! :) (Maybe you could think up a label????! HINT, HINT!)

3. Kerry says

Laura,

I also love this idea for my hubby for deployment this summer! :) Something he could pass out and share with his buddies that maybe don’t get much mail! :) The possibilities are ENDLESS! :)

• staci says

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Starting to plan my daughter’s bday party and these would be great!

4. Jennifer says

Adorable idea! I’ll definitely be using something like this for Teacher Appreciation day on Tuesday. Love it!

Another low cost idea for mothers day is to take a terra cotta pot, add in some finely shredded paper, a couple packets of flower seeds, a pair of garden gloves, and a little garden hand tool. Super cute!

5. Lynn says

I love this! I think we will do this for my husband for Father’s Day! I love that you can do this with all size cans as well. It would not be as cheap, but you can buy the paint cans and could fill them like this as well.

6. Jennifer says

Another frugal idea with a tin can…after use clean it and remove original label. Use pretty scrapbook paper and decoupage on can. Accent with ribbon or ric rac or glitter etc etc. There a pretty pen/pencil holder. Have one sittin’ right here next to me that I love to look at b/c I loved the paper!

7. Ashley says

Love this idea! My mother and I work in the same office and I was trying to think of a non-flower way to go this year. I think she’s going to get one of these on her desk every day this week!

8. Chrissy B. says

There is a great clip art site that has very affordable prices & they have pre-made templates for can covers for various occasions that could easily be used for this craft idea. The site is called Scrappin’ Doodles. Here’s a link to the paint can printables: http://www.scrappindoodles.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_28 BTW, I am in no way affiliated with this site & receive nothing for suggesting you visit…I just truly love their stuff :o)

• stephanie says

Its a small fruit can. She shows Libby’s 8 oz can. However, I have small mandarin orange cans that also have the flip top, so any can that has a flip top & then you open the bottom of that can with a can-opener.

I really like this idea. So simple and fun! The labels are hilarious. I’d love to give these to all of mommy friends.

Since you said it was OK to leave a comment about a frugal Mother’s Day idea I will mention one I posted last week: Citrus Bath Salts It’s super easy to make and smells wonderful.

I love this idea. I’m going to do it for my sister and two of my friends that need a little pick me up. I will share the results on my site and will most happily link it back so you can have the well deserved credit. Thank you for a great idea!

Now is a great time to fill these if your stores still have discounted Easter Candy. Pastel chocolates would be perfect for this and you can get a great deal on them if any of the stores around you still have some.

• Carole says

The original post says to use generic cans of fruit with the pop top lids. If you click on the link in Crystal’s post, it will take you to the original post where she shows the kind of cans she’s talking about. Looks like single serve DelMonte fruit, or the like :-)

12. Becky says

Love, love, love, it!! My grand children will be making these for their mothers for Mother’s Day. Thank you!!!