Walmart: New coupon policy

Walmart just rolled out a new coupon policy:

Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):

• Manufacturers’ coupons
  • Print-at-home internet coupons
    • Must be legible, have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
  • Competitors’ coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
    • for example, $2.99
  • Soft drink container caps
  • Checkout coupons
    • (also called “Catalinas”) that are printed at our competitors’ registers, have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.

Walmart does not accept the following coupons:

• Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
  • Competitors’ coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons

The following are guidelines and limitations:

• Only one coupon per item is permitted.
  • Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
  • Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
  • Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
  • Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
  • We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor/Management approval:
    • 40 or more coupons
    • Any coupon over $20
    • $50 or more in coupons in one transaction

The new coupon policy is hosted on their website here. I’d recommend printing it out and bringing it with you when you shop at Walmart.

I was disappointed to see that they are officially saying they no longer accept internet printables for free items. But I was happy to see they are now officially stating they’ll give overage if the coupon value exceeds the price of the item.

Thanks, Ruth!

Comments

Not our Targets in IL…. there was a whole blowup because multiple locations were not scanning coupons properly. Not the people, the actual computer wouldn’t take off the proper amount. It was a few cents here, a few cents there and it all resulted in a big media story.

Regarding WalMart- Here’s hoping that all employees from the top down become very familiar with this policy. Proper training could solve so many couponing issues!

1. Brian says

Yeah it was nice. I got my first overage using coupons from walmart. I went in and got two 2 litters of coke (recylebank coupons), 2 bags of mision tortilla strips (mine and my wifes coupon from Missions chip giveaway), A bag of el monteray taquitos (was one of the first people to play their bright idea challange before it was announced and the prizes were a free one product q mailed not just the bogo) and 4 jars of beechnut baby food (starter kit coupon) and walmart paid me .23! the cashier couldnt believe it and said she’d never seen such but the CSM said their store had been giving people money back for over a year already!

• Rae says

technically they shouldn’t have taken the free Missions coupons anymore but glad you were able to use it :) I’m going to go to Target today to use mine.

• Brian says

Not true.. I went back (as should anyone having this same issue) and reprint it as they changed it to 2.99 off one instead of a free bag. They were 2.18 at my store.

I had a problem with them when I used a non-printed free item coupon. The cashier didn’t even know what to do. When I told her she had to look up the price of the item, she looked at me like I’d just asked her jump off a bridge. I think printing this list out is a great idea because I know I’m going to keep running into problems like I have in the past.

• Erin says

Too funny. I know the look you’re talking about. One cashier at Wags couldn’t get a coupon to scan (it didn’t beep–the scanner just wasn’t picking it up) and I suggested that she key it in. With much attitude, she proclaimed, “I don’t key in no coupons.”

3. Valerie says

What is a “Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase?” Thanks for your help.

4. Jennifer T. says

I don’t even go to Walmart that much anymore with my coupons. The Walmart manager near me makes up his/her own rules. It’s getting to the point that they don’t except any coupons because they’ve gotten burned on them too many times. One employee told me that if you ring out the coupon wrong, that’s grounds for dismissal and you loose your job! So, alot of people who work there are afraid to scan any coupons. I can understand that, but even when they are presented with the policy from the company, they still go by what their manager has told them. It’s sad that it’s come to this.

• Rae says

Have you ever reported them to corporate? That usually helps because they correct the store manager then the store manger has to talk to all the csm then the csm’s talk to the cashiers and are available if the cashier needs help.

• Jessica says

Someone really needs to call corporate office for that and someone needs to talk to that cashier. You can’t be fired at WM for ringing in a coupon wrong (unless you are doing something that is clearly stealing) Hopefully that cashier will be taught about the proper ways to ring up something. I always hate it when my cashiers have heard something or decide to make up their own rules.

• Tami says

I’m calling corporate in the morning after I was humiliated in front of alot of waiting customers with my coupons from Target & the new policy of Walmart in hand….The customer service manager wouldn’t take them & got very rude with me, brought out her little black book with her copy of the policy which was printed on 1/1/11 !!!! I told her that they just changed policy but she wouldn’t believe me. I put all items back & said I’d not shop there again! Got home went to Walmart Corporate site & printed out new policy & page with photo’s of coupons they will take…just in case I decide to go back to the Walmart 45 minutes away! I used to shop Walmart ALL the time but now will make the 45 minute trip 2x’s a month to a neighboring town with a Target, Walgreen’s & Super Walmart!!!!! What a night.

• Erin says

My advice, do tell someone at corporate. I wrote Walmart corporate after a humiliating experience I recently had (it took me some time to calm down and write something that was respectfully stating that I knew this was not the experience they want costumers to have and something really must be done… etc) and in a day the head of customer service called me, apologized, made a commitment toward change and asked me to return with an incentive of a gift card. I was very pleased to be heard… and the gift card didn’t hurt either. :)

5. Vicki says

Thanks for this. I’m wondering if the “competitor” has to be in a certain radius of the store. Our Walmart will only price match the locations that are basically right down the street, any further and they say it’s outside of the area for them.

6. Deirdre Hopkins says

My walmart just informed me that they are no longer taking price matches on the honor system. A customer MUST present the actual ad with the price match in order to receive the discount. :(

• Ton says

Well, really, that only makes sense. Otherwise what would stop people from making up a sale price at another store? Unfortunately, they’ve probably gotten burned by dishonest people.

• Rae says

I agree. All of our matching stores here (Targets and Walmarts) always needed the ads here (and it says it in the price matching policy so it’s not like they are making up a new rule to inconvenience people).

• chelsea says

That’s how it is here. I can’t imagine a store just taking my word for it, especially since I price-match pretty frequently!

• Erin says

Luckily our Walmart keeps up with what our local grocery sells and most of the item THEY tell ME they’re price matching!

7. Ellie W. says

I’m disappointed about the “free product w/ no purchase required” part. I do those houseparty.com parties fairly frequently & they always have those coupons for free items. Now I’m concerned about being able to use them. I have had several free product coupons that have been mailed to me that they claim were printed at home! (As if I keep “specially printed & watermarked” paper at my home!) It’s getting to the point that I just shop at Aldi’s & don’t bother trying to coupon. When I get made to feel bad about wise shopping, I don’t want to go there anymore! We have a local chain of stores (Schnuck’s) that I used to frequent since it’s very close, but they have become so contrary to coupons that I refuse to shop there at all (even though our local bank branch is located inside & I’m there every week).

• Brian says

Ellie,

If you have a man coupon for a free item that clearly is on special watermark paper and is in color etc etc.. ask for the CSM or other manager. they typically over rule the cashier. I had a cashier try to deny a bogo coupon n I about lost my mind. I hate when they make you feel like a criminal.

• Rae says

the “free product w/ no purchase required” part is under the online coupons section. You can still use free product coupons that come in the mail/newspaper/houseparties/etc

• Ellie W. says

Yeah, my problem is that I’ve had several that were mailed to me that they claimed were printed out/online ones & wouldn’t honor them! So far the houseparty ones have worked, but I worry that it won’t be long until I can’t use them either!

When I receive a free product coupon that is printed on paper, I take the whole thing with me to the store. When I get to the check out, I open the envelope and tear the coupon off the paper in front of them. If there are any questions, I have the envelope, paper advertisement, (anything they send me with the FREE coupon, ) et cetera. So far, this has helped me. I hope it helps you too.

Blessings,
          Kristine

• Jessica says

I can tell you that by working at Wal-Mart that the reason that we no longer take internet based “free item” coupons is because there have been some fake coupons coming around that are free Play Station 3s and I even had one that said the customer could get a free $50 WM gift cart with any purchase. As long as it is a coupon that you get out of the paper or that the manufacture sends out then WM will except it. I had gotten a free coupon for baby formula (up to $25) from the actual company and it was taken without any problem.

• Becky R says

The houseparty coupons should be fine, since they aren’t printable-type coupons. I plan to go use mine from my Digiorno houseparty this weekend at Walmart. They are for free items, but they aren’t IP’s, they are regular manuf. coupons. The coupons that come in the mail that are printables could be left on the full sheet so that you could show them that they weren’t printed at home since they have your mailing address on them. Then just tear them off at the register when you hand them over. You may still get an argument for those, who knows??

• Erika says

Yes, they should take those now. I’ve had a friend of mine using her Walgreens RR there quite frequently anymore and hasn’t had a problem. So long as they scan and/or can get keyed in without problems you’re golden.

8. Jill says

I’m a little new at this and confused. A month or two ago I got a coupon for a free bottle of excedrin (from a link on MSM) so would that be something Walmart would no longer accept?? (I used it there a couple of weeks ago before this new coupon policy came out).

• Brian says

No because although you got it from online they mailed you the physical coupon. A free item coupon is ok as long as its not internet printed.

• Anna J says

I was wondering that too – it’s not something I printed at home but it sure looks a lot like the printable ones. I still have two Excedrin ones – may have to take them to Target instead…

9. Merry Jo says

I didn’t read it to say that they won’t accept an internet coupon for a free product. You ARE technically purchasing it, aren’t you? So, they should still accept it. Although, then I’m not sure exactly what it would mean…

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this new policy – I’m going to call and ask, because I’ve seen some folks say they’ll take the Walgreens RR catalinas, and I’ve seen some say no.

I haven’t shopped at Walmart in a LONG time, I’ve been paying more and keeping it local. I’d rather pay for quality than some of the garbage our Walmart gets that they call meat and produce.

11. Mishka says

This might be a stupid question (i guess the answer is obvious but i still need to ask), but does that mean that if the bar-code won’t scan, they will not type the number into the cash register and you cannot use the coupon?

• Brian says

This is typically why I cashier shop. Yes as discussed on extreme couponing, I realized I am very bad about cashier profiling. typically young males are the best. There are lots of cashiers that wont accept a coupon at all if it wont scan or beeps.. Although I have found several of my cashiers will still hand key.

• Mishka says

ok, but what is walmarts policy on it? if you called the manager, would he/she tell you that it was against their policy to accept a printed-at-home coupon which has a bar-code, but the bar-code won’t scan?

• Brian says

most likely…. but it really depends on the store and the particular coupon.. I can promise if the coupon looked funny (like the missions did) they will probably denny it.

• chelsea says

Cashier shop! That is too funny. I do the same thing, and I agree with you that the young males are the best. They’re usually very polite too, always a bonus :)

• Jeannie says

I have the worst luck with young males! I like young females! Young males always tell me it won’t scan and they don’t know how to key it in. Weird!

• Jeannie says

I do have a nice older lady at Walgreens though. When diapers are on sale, she memorized the store coupon for me, because they were out of the infant booklet! I <3 her. I always let my baby talk to her and blow her kisses!

• Kim says

The hand held scanners seem to work better at the walmart I shop at. I had a cashier that normal works in jewelery check me out once and coupons weren’t scanning so I told her the hand held works and she was very thankful for the help.

12. Cheryl S says

Our Walmarts take the Albertson’s “Double your coupon up to $1″ ones that come out periodically. Sounds like this new policy will exclude this, yes?

• Amanda says

My local Walmart will still accept them because all of these corporate things are left to the interpretation of the regional managers. And the managers here in Boise have decided to accept Albertson’s doublers.

I’m not surprised that they aren’t accepting free internet printed coupons anymore. My local Giant Eagle is doing the same thing.

I havent been shopping much at walmart lately since Meijer in OH doubles coupons and price comparison as well. I find my saving have been much higher there than walmart, Kroger or Giant eagle.

However, I do do some deals at walmart since their prices are on average 50 – 70 cents cheaper than any of my other 3.

I was there just yesterday and they did hoor my BOGO coupon and I did get overage which is nice since walgreens, meijer and even target do not do overage in my area.

15. Erin says

This is interesting because at one point when I was using an IP, I was told they had to be printed in color and that it was a new policy. So…evidentally it’s not! Good news!! Also glad to hear I can use my mission coupon at Target because no other stores around me take IPs for free items!

16. Jen says

So from what I’m reading is, they will take Wags Register Rewards. I think most employees will be completely confused and want to know which product to put it toward.

I’m not sure if people who shop at the military commissary know that Walgreens Register Rewards can be used toward your purchase. When there is a good money maker at Wags, I stock up and head to my commissary on base. During the wags melatonin $3rr, I bought 150 of melatonin for .24/bottle (that’s tax for me) and received a $3rr. I took the $450 rr I received and purchased my groceries at the commissary. I had $500 before MFQ’s then got my total downto $450. AND the rr will apply toward the 5% surcharge too! I left paying .22

17. Becky in KY says

Thank you for posting this!! I am teaching a grocery savings seminar at my church tomorrow morning, and this is some great info to pass along to the folks there. We have limited grocery options here; most folks shop at WalMart. I usually get better deals at Kroger, but a few of the items on the WM coupon policy might get me back in the doors of WM a bit more often now. :) Thank you again!

18. Pamela says

I am finding the whole couponing thing more confusing all the time. I had NO idea that Walmart took competitors coupons. I will bring in my sales ads to price match but now I can save even more. Yea! Thanks for the info!

19. Wendy says

I went shopping today at Walmart and tried to use the purex coupons on the 2 ct travel size like people had suggested which would have gave me 2.00 overage. The cashier would not take the coupons saying its more than the item. And of course I forgot to print out the new coupon policy. Anyways I said you new coupon policy allows for overage and I could print it out and bring it back. She went and talked to someone and came back and said NO we cant take them! Then someone else came over and said they called Corp and they didn’t know what I was talking about!And even if I printed it out I still could not use them!! It’s not like I didn’t spend money there cause I spent about 100.00 bucks! So now what? Thanks!

20. AngelaS says

Shopped Walmart today with 9 perfectly valid coupons and I just checked my receipt and the cashier used 4 of the 9 coupons I handed her. I am so angry. I know I should have watched and checked there on the spot, but I was shopping with my husband who paid while I dealt with a sleepy and cranky 18 month old. I’ve set aside everything I bought with coupons and plan to drive the 25 minutes back and return all of those items. Plus talk to management and call the corporate number. The cashier didn’t tell me anything, didn’t give the coupons back, nothing. Ugh! Guess I’ll drive the extra mile or so to WinnDixie. Living out in the country makes couponing so much harder.

• Bre in KY says

This happens to me frequently at our Walmart and I’ve identified a couple particular cashiers as the culprits…now I avoid their lines. It is VERY frustrating though to realize that not only did you not get the savings you expected, but they didn’t even bother to hand them back or say anything….

21. Heartland Hannah says

Well, as I expected this was a no-go at my Walmart in eastern Iowa. I took in Walgreens RR catalina coupons today. All have valid dates and meet their stated requirements. I went through 5 different levels of people over the course of 20+ minutes standing at the checkout. They had no clue. I brought up their own website on my smartphone and showed it to them. They said they still hadn’t heard of it and couldn’t honor it. And….it took 20 minutes for them to decide that while my frozen food was melting and people were swearing at me in line.

It was my first trip to Walmart in several months and I went BECAUSE of the supposed new policy. It will now be my last for a loooonnnnggg time.

I called Walmart corporate customer service afterward and the guy that answered was completely clueless and not helpful either. All he said is he wasn’t aware of this policy and he would have “someone get back to me in a few days.” Whoopppeee. By then my Wags RR will be expired so it’s pointless.

I guess the moral of the story is if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Why do they put these policies out to get our hopes up and then not tell their stores?

This is why I’m a Target shopper.

From what I understand, they only take catalina coupons which say “manufacturer’s coupon” on them. Register Rewards likely won’t work at Walmart because they aren’t manufacturer’s coupons. However, I have heard of some stores accepting them.

• Jeremy says

Register Rewards always say manufacturers coupon on them. WM should accept them according to their policy.

22. Heartland Hannah says

Actually the ones I had did state “manufacturer coupon” on it. It met all the requirements posted on their website to the letter. The store just was too lazy to deal with the fact there was a new coupon policy. They just said they didn’t always adopt corporate policies. Hmmm since when did Walmart stores become independent franchises?

23. Holly Samlan says

I am still SOOO ticked at the treatment I got at walmart on 3/8 that the above is the online complaint I filled at walmart.com today. I will NOT hold my breath waiting for a response. NOTE: I did NOT even get the usual, canned auto response.

The 8500 golf, Niles IL Walmart REFUSED to take a $1 WAG RR on 3/8. I still would have had to pay out of pocket after coupons & the RR.

There was no REAL store mgr on duty (at 9:20 am on a weekday???). The customer service mgr just outright REFUSED to even try to scan my RR and she made it VERY clear SHE was in charge. I walked out w/o buying anything. I am in charge of how I spend MY money.

I do NOT like shopping at Walmart. The parking lots are impossible unless you go after 10 pm or before 7 am. The aisles are a mess. The staff knows nothing (where is,,,,). EVERY coupon is read line for line at least 3x. Every bag is rechecked to make sure the item is there, item by item. As oft as not, I am treated as a thief or scammer for using 6/less coupons on 6-10 items. The prices are higher than I can regularly get at other stores (Target, WAG, CVS). The quality on non-name brand items is ….pond water.

I will NOT ‘try’ to shop there again. I already wasted an hour of my time and ½ gal of gas ($1.90 + $10.50). There are WAAAY too many stores in my area that have better prices and treat me as a decent person, not a thief and are eager for my business. Do NOT phone me. All communication MUST be written so I have proof of what transpired.

Realize, I took the time and made the effort to advise you of the issue at both Niles IL stores. 999/1000 possible customers just walked out saying NEVER again.

• Tami says

Holly I am with you there!!!! I’m done with the small Walmart in my small town & will drive 45 min away to get to a Target (not Super) and a Walgreens….oh also a Cub!!!! Hope you have a better week coming up!

I’m thinking the policy that states,
    “Competitors’ coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price

* for example, $2.99″
    means that in-ad coupons (like Walgreens) for items which state a price like Puffs .99 this week at Walgreens (first page of ad). Is that one everyone else thinks?

• Jessica says

Yes if it is the exact item and it shows a specific price then WM will match it. However buy one get one frees and precentage offs are not matched.

25. Pam says

Ok, I’m confused on the new Walmart coupon policy, being the coupon newbie that I am! Does this mean no more stacking a manufacturer’s coupon with another coupon since it says somewhere “just one coupon per item”? Also, what’s the deal with no more ‘buy one get one free’ coupons? I like using those, especially on canned dog food when I can get them…???? Anybody?

As far as I can tell the ‘buy one get one free’ is competitor coupons only, like I left in my comment above – the Walgreens ad coupons.

Every coupon says one coupon per item (pretty much). I think that means you can’t use two .50 off Pillsbury crescent rolls when you’re only buying one package of crescent rolls.

I’d say keep trying what you’ve already been doing b/c as others left in the comments above you’re kind of at the mercy of the manager on duty at your store. Usually, if they have an issue with a coupon I have I ask for the coupon back (and then try again later or at a different store). I think the biggest “loss” from the new policy will be no more internet printable free item coupons. A lot of the corp web sites or games/sweeps will give free item coupons. But lately I’ve been taking those to a different store anyway. The biggest “gain” I see from the new policy is matching the in-ad coupons from Walgreens, when a specific item and price are given. Good luck and keep saving $!

26. Jennifer Stiko says

Someone told me that Walmart will now accept CVS Extra Care Bucks and Walgreens Register Rewards; is this true? Thanks!

• Su says

No! They updated their coupon policy again on 3/16 it clearly states no Coupons for Total Basket purchase.

27. Tee says

Walmart didn’t take my Wags RR. No overage for my Rayovac coupons. I sent a complaint to corporate. Probably won’t get a response. Held up the line, of course. *sigh* I went back to walmart for the first time in a long time just cause of this. I’ll just stick to Target, Publix, and CVS. I don’t like Walgreens or Walmart =(