Kroger: Nationwide e-coupon policy change and no more doubles/triples in Houston

The Kroger chain of stores has been making some changes in their computer system and coupon policies.

While it has been their policy for quite awhile to not allow stacking of e-coupons and manufacturer’s coupons, their computers are now set up to reject paper coupons if an e-coupon is used.

Also, Kroger stores in the Houston, TX area will no longer be doubling and tripling coupons as of April 13, 2011. Here’s what Houston, TX MSNBC reported:

Kroger is changing its coupon policy, but only in its stores in the greater Houston area.

Kroger officials said the grocery store will stop doubling or tripling coupons on April 13.

A spokeswoman with the Houston stores said the changes are due largely to an increase in digital coupons. She said traditional coupon use has been on the decline.

The stores will continue to accept coupons after April 13, but only for their face value.

The company will implementing a new value deal that will be announced early next month. Details on that program have not been released.

I’m sad for those of you in the Houston, TX area as I can only imagine how disappointing this must be. I’m hoping that Kroger realizes this is not a move that customers want and will rethink this decision.

Comments

1. liza says

very disappointing!!!!! above all, why houston? I live in houston,sucks!!! I just got started couponing and yes, Kroger is the best place to use coupons, but apparently not anymore….hmm.. walmart your going to be my favorite from now on…lol

2. Rebecca Z. says

I visited Kroger last week (Michigan) and transfered a Rx there for a $25 credit loaded onto my Kroger card. Fast forward to last night when I went to get some groceries with coupons… yeah, I was denied use of the paper coupons because the pharmacy reward was considered a digital coupon. What a joke. I wrote to corporate this morning, but I’m not confident my “cries” will be heard.

I wonder how many of you live close by me? Lots of Houstonians commenting here. I love it! I’m in Southeast Houston and our Kroger is situated in the most competitive corner in town it seems.

When you compare the parking lots of Kroger and HEB at any given time, it looks like Kroger just has employee cars and like HEB is running a super mega sale. I have a feeling the Kroger near me won’t last long with these changes. The thing is, I do live in a semi-well to do neighborhood (I am not rich by any means, but we live near NASA so there are nice neighborhoods all around). People STILL aren’t shopping Kroger.

The people that are shopping at my Kroger? The couponers.
    Luckily our Randall’s doubles/triples so I’m sure their business will pick up.

Here in Houston we have a LOT of choices. From what I am hearing, it sounds like we have more choices then most areas (which is one of the reasons that I’ve heard Kroger decided to start in Houston. Which makes zero sense to me…). So make your voice heard. Speak up on their facebook wall and send a letter to corporate.

The most important thing we can all do is just take our money (and our coupons!) elsewhere.

4. Jill says

Kroger is very expensive compared to HEB (our other major grocery store). I only shopped there with coupons that could be doubled and tripled. Needless to say, this change will cause Kroger to lose me as a customer.

5. Christie says

I live in Houston and think it is a great idea that people in other areas of the country voice their concern over the new policy. If they feel it is successful in Houston – I am sure they will start changing their policy elsewhere.
    So disappointed in Kroger!!!

It is indeed a sad day in Houston. There is quite an uproar over here. My friends and I support our local Kroger’s and this really discourages us from shopping there…particularly since the local Walmart grocery store price-matches….

7. Noah says

FWIW, in my part of the country pretty much no one doubles coupons. And as far back as I remember, they never have. We on rare occassion will have one store that will double up to 3 with a special coupon. So I would say this is on par with a lot of the rest of the country and that coupon doubling is going by the wayside.

8. Patricia says

So glad the word is getting out about these coupon policy changes. I live in KS & learned about the Kroger (Dillon’s) changes of not stacking paper & e-coupons about a month ago from another blog, glad I didn’t learn about it at the register. I was able to delete all my e-coupons off my plus card, except for the ones loaded off Cellfire.com & Shortcuts.com. I’ve decided it’s not worth my time to do the majority of my shopping at Dillon’s any more. I’ve gone back to shopping at Homeland (they double coupons up to and including $1 every day with their Homeland store card). It’s a bit of a drive for me, but worth it to save $40-$50 in coupons on my groceries. However, Homeland has also made coupon policy changes recently, they are limiting the # of same item coupons used to 5 and will only double the first of like coupons. Appears they are trying to limit customers from using coupons to get high dollar savings when purchasing in multiples or stock piling. It was still worth the savings though, and I was able to stay within my grocery budget. I’ve also been able to find pretty good deals at Aldi.

I was informed of this the other day while shopping there. Needless to say, I will not be buying as much from Kroger, as their prices are generally higher than other places. :(

10. AMadGal says

I live in Houston, TX and went to Kroger on Apr 5 to use my coupons there before doubling stops on April 13. Well, it looks like their doubling of coupons has already stopped as my coupons were not doubled.