How to Purchase Any Groupon Through Swagbucks

One of the best ways to maximize your money when it comes to a Groupon you are planning to buy is to purchase it through Swagbucks. You’ll get a nice Swagbucks bonus for doing so, often as many as 200 Swagbucks or more! Yesterday, when the hot eBay Groupon deal appeared, many of you were asking how to get it through Swagbucks since you couldn’t find it on the Swagbucks homepage. I didn’t know the answer, but Christina from Centsible Savings left a short explanation of how to do it in the comments. I realized that this was a tip many of you might not see buried in the comments, so I asked her to write up a post about it. So, here’s how you can earn Swagbucks by buying Groupon deals through the Swagbucks Daily Deal Tab, even ifthe actual Groupon deal you want to buy is not listed as a deal on Swagbucks!

1. Go to your Swagbucks homepage and click on “Daily Deals.” 2. Click on any Groupon deal (it doesn’t matter which, just click on a random deal). 3. Click “Continue” on the next page, and you will be redirected to Groupon. 4. When you get to Groupon, make sure there’s a white bar at the top of the screen that says “trialpay”. Trialpay is Swagbucks’ affiliate site which tracks your transaction so that you can get credited your Swagbucks. You want to make sure this is showing up, otherwise you won’t get credited for your purchase. It is very important that the white trialpay bar stays there until you have completed your transaction. If the white trialpay bar disappears at any time, you need to start over at Step 1. You have followed all the steps above and are now at Groupon.  But you don’t want to buy that deal, you want to buy the eBay deal or a deal listed in another city/state.  In your address bar you will see a URL like this in your browser: www.groupon.com/deals/candy-man?utm_source=aatrialpay&affliae_id=trialpay&subid=U102070854 5. Open up a second window and pull up the page of the deal you’re wanting to purchase. Go to the purchase page and find the words in your browser which are between deals/………/confirmation. This is usually one word or phrase which describes the name of the company offering the Groupon deal. 6. Copy and paste the word or phrase from the purchase page into the section here: deals/………?utm_source of the URL on the trialpay window you left open in step 4. For instance, the current eBay deal can be found at www.groupon.com/deals/ebay. So, you’ll change the words in between deals/………?utm_source to eBay and hit enter. Leave the rest of the the address alone as that is the information trialpay needs! After hitting enter, it should open up the eBay deal page (or whatever deal you’re trying to purchase) with a trialpay bar at the top of the page: www.groupon.com/deals/ebay?utm_source=aatrialpay&affliae_id=trialpay&subid=U102070854 So now, you still see the trialpay bar (which means you should get your swagbucks credited), and you are at the eBay purchase page! Click “buy”, and you are done! 7. Purchase your Groupon and your Swagbucks should be credited almost instantly! I have done this numerous times (including the eBay deal) and have gotten my Swagbucks credited in just a minute or two and have gotten my confirmation email and Groupon deal credited to my account.

A huge thank you to Christina from Centsible Savings for sharing all the details and information for this post!

Comments

1. Bridgett says

Thank you! I was very frustrated to not get my swagbucks when I purchased the ebay groupon deal yesterday. I have bookmarked these instructions so when my brain forgets next time I can easily look it up!

2. Erin says

Thank you for posting this. I held off on buying it yesterday because I wanted to figure out how to get it through Swagbucks. I really appreciate you helping us out even if it means you won’t get the referral credit.

3. Kristi says

Thanks for the info! I bought yesterday’s Ebay groupon and today’s Zazzle one…without getting any Swagbucks :(

• Heather says

You should be able to go to your groupon account and cancel your purchases and then rebuy them thru the swagbucks link. As long as you haven’t printed them it should work. I’ve done it before!

• Carissa says

I tried that but still no swagbucks. I think I followed all the instructions. It was several hours ago, shouldn’t the swagbucks be there by now? And when I look on the swagbucks site through daily deals and click on support it doesn’t show that I purchased it, but I know the trialplay bar was there!

4. Susan says

THANK YOU!!!!!! I’ve held off on doing the eBay Groupon hoping to figure out where to find it using the Swagbucks option.

5. Angela says

I did this yesterday and I actually still have my confirmation window up in case I didn’t get my swagbucks and I didn’t, does anyone know why I wouldn’t when it says the TrialPay thing on the top and no swagbucks have been credited to my account, who do I contact to try and get them?

• Rita says

if you are looking at the daily deals in the upper right hand side there is a blue link that says “support” if you click on that it will show all the instances where you clicked to go to a deal..if you see yesturdays deal listed and it says completed..then it processed correctly and you will get your swagbucks…if it says looked at deal..they think you did not buy it …

• Natalie says

Keep in mind this is just what worked for ME, but it’s worth a try.

If you go back to the Daily Deals page on Swagbucks, there should be a “Support” link to the right, right above the offers. It’s small, might be kind of hard to spot…look directly to the right of the “Most Popular” tab. If you click on it, it should show you the history of the deals that you have viewed, and under “Status” it should say “Completed” and have a green icon for any that you did buy (the others will say “Offer Viewed” have a white icon).

At first, my Swagbucks weren’t posted, but when I opened that window and saw “Completed,” I refreshed my Swagbucks screen and viola, up 160 bucks!

If it doesn’t work, you can go back to that support link and click on “Contact Support” next to that offer, so they know which offer you’re talking about. Take a screenshot of your confirmation (use the “Print Screen” button on your keyboard, and then paste the image into an imaging program like Paint) so they can see that you did make the purchase under TrialPay, if necessary. Hope this helps!

6. kristen says

Thank you. I just wanted to add that my swagbucks didn’t come through for maybe an hour or more but they did eventually show up – don’t panic if it isn’t right away.

7. Juli says

Thanks! I also hesitated to purchase until I found out how to earn my Swagbucks! Very helpful info! :)

8. Amy says

When I click on Daily Deals there are only 6 deals to choose from and none of them are Groupons??

• Jen says

I changed mine to Atlanta and it’s still showing Mertado :( I think some of us are just out of luck on this deal.

That’s what I kind-of wondered too. Looks like others are having the same problem :( Well, I’m glad some people got it anyway!

• Chrys says

Even when you click on the ‘more’ button to show all the deals? (mine originally just showed the most popular. No clue how they decided what areas were close to me since they chose a city 5+ hours away from me.

9. Elizabeth says

In step 2 it says to click on “any Groupon deal” even if it isn’t the one you want, but I can never find any Groupon deals at all listed on Swagbucks in the Daily Deals sections? Is anyone else having this problem? For instance today when I go to Daily Deals I see a Living Social deal and several Mertado deals and that is it. No Groupon deals. That is how it was yesterday also.

Ah, genius! I could have used that last week when I was buying a Groupon for the city where we’re going on vacation. At least I got $0.30 through Ebates for it.

11. Laura says

That is a really odd process to get this, if they advertise you can get these swagbucks, why is it so hard?!

12. asmith says

I saw the post within the post yesterday and I was able to purchase and my swagbucks credit very quickly it had to be within 10-15 minutes . Thanks

13. Natalie says

THANK YOU! I have been wondering forever how to do this!

Those of you that are having trouble seeing a deal, try going to “Special Offers” instead of “Daily Deals” on the toolbar or on the homepage. Make sure you’re under the “TrialPay” tab, and click “Most Popular.” I have no way of testing to see if that will bring up Groupon deals for everyone, but it adds more for me, so I’m hoping it helps.

14. Terri says

This is Awesome! Posts like this is why Moneysavingmom is the best frugal website, ever. I was wondering the same thing and am so thankful to be able to get the swagbucks in addition to the deal.

15. Tricia says

Crystal,
    Is there any way that you can put this on your site so we can easily reference it later? The steps are a bit confusing and there is no way that I will be able to remember them all the next time a groupon comes around that I’m interested in. It’s really good information to be able to reference. Thanks!

16. Erica says

Christina, thank you thank you! The was a Groupon for a local restaurant I’ve been wanting to try but it wasn’t in swagbuck’s list. I emailed swagbucks this morning and got a quick reply saying the TrialPay folks control which ones I see. Luckily I saw this post before buying it anyway. The TrialPay bar disappeared when I got to the checkout page but I backed out and edited the http address and it worked perfectly. My swagbucks were confirmed right away! Thanks again!!

Mertado Social Deals – is the only thing I have on Swagbucks under ‘Daily Deals’. I don’t have a Groupon in my town/area so maybe that’s why it’s not listed for me???

I guess I should’ve refreshed the page because I see that several others also have the same issue – only seeing Mertado. Glad I’m not the only one :-/

18. Bev says

It worked! Got 160 SB right away and a great deal for eBay. I have bought some Groupon and Living Social deals in the past but didn’t know they linked with Swagbucks. I have not been using Swagbucks to its fullest capability. Any other hints are greatly appreciated. Thank You

19. Sarah says

I got my swagbucks right away, but when I checked my Groupon account, the ebay purchase was not listed. Does anyone know how long it takes before a Groupon shows up in your account? Thank you!

20. Mrs W says

I wanted to check….Do you always get some Swagbucks when purchasing a Groupon through Swagbucks daily deal link? Or are the swagbucks only available with your 1st purchase?

21. Dee says

I was disappointed that I didn’t know about this yesterday when I bought the eBay Groupon. I couldn’t get there through eBates either.
    I just went to Swagbucks to look at what is in my daily deals. Woo Hoo! 450 Swagbucks for Living Social deals. I already bought one for my town today for a local pizza place, so I bought another. Within minutes my 450 points were added to my account. Thank you, Crystal and Christine!!!!

I’ve never been able to connect to Groupon or another deal site through Swagbucks. Every time I’ve tried, I’ve received an error message. So I just give up and buy directly through Groupon, etc. directly.

23. April says

This is the first thing I have ever emailed myself from a blog/deals site! Thanks so much for posting this very helpful information!

24. Bonnie says

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I couldn’t figure out how to find the eBay deal when I clicked through Swagbucks, so I ended up purchasing it w/o Swagbucks. I just cancelled that order and clicked through Swagbucks using your directions to re-purchase it and it worked! I did notice a weird thing happening yesterday, though. I had already purchased one of my local Groupon deals through Swagbucks when I noticed the eBay deal. When I tried to click through to Groupon again, I kept getting an error message. Does Swagbucks only allow one Groupon purchase per day? Or was it just a random computer glitch?

25. Rita says

FYI…this type of post is the reason I stick with your site. If you didnt post this you could have gotten a lot more referals on groupon but you choose to help your reader instead of your pocket…its a very noticible difference from other sites. Thanks for having integrity

26. Ashlee says

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much. I’ve often thought there had to be a way, I just couldn’t figure it out.

Darn! I wish I would have known about this sooner. I’ve purchased a couple of Groupon deals over the last couple of weeks. Bummer! Thank you for posting this though. Now I know how to do it next time!

28. Chris B. says

Thank you so much for explaining that to us. It was very helpful and I got the groupon plus my swagbucks!! You rock!

29. kristen says

I got my swagbucks no problem. Still hasn’t shown up on my credit card, email, or groupon account though. When should I be concerned?

Thank you so much! I just bought this, happy to get my Swagbucks and a great deal! I’ll definitely be buying more Groupons now that I know this, too.

31. Crystal Bonanni says

I figured out the groupon! Hooray! Thank you for the tutorial. That helped me, and I wish I had known about this sooner. I missed out on a lot of swagbucks.

Now, I am trying to get the shoebacca eversave to get some new sneakers for my son. I clicked through swagbucks, and the trialpay banner isn’t at the top. I tried clicking through the other eversaves listed, and none of them are showing a banner. Should there be a banner at the top of Eversave as well, or is it different?

32. Marian says

Does anyone know how to cancel a groupon deal that I just purchased?
    Thanks for your help!

I was just wondering: is there a way to NOT use your swagbucks gift cards for amazon when you check out? It makes sense to me that there should be an opt out option or a different way of paying, I’ve looked and can’t find it. I want to save them all for Christmas, but if I redeem them and then buy something on Amazon, then it always uses by gift card balance up first! Just curious!

Thank you! I got my swagbucks immediately. I didn’t know about this feature and will use it whenever I buy groupons from now on.