Green Rice Casserole Recipe

Whenever I say something about Green Rice Casserole, most people do a double take. “Green Rice Casserole? What’s that??” they’ll ask incredulously.

My mom has made this recipe for as long as I can remember and I’ve always loved it. Since I’ve been married, it’s been fun to introduce it to my own family, too. Everyone gobbles it up and usually asks for more!

It’s the perfect complement to burritos. Or, you can do as I do, and just eat it as a stand alone.

Because it’s just that good!

By the way, this is in no way a low-fat recipe, so if you’re on a diet or counting calories or trying to lose weight, you just might want to skip over this post. ;)

Comments

I’m glad to see a rice casserole with something other than spinach or broccoli. We love the diced green chilies and I imagine they make this taste out of this world.

2. Hillery says

Hey, since this includes green chile and cheese, I think my husband will love it! Yum! And it is gluten free, which means I can eat it! A win win, now to convince the kids. Thanks!

3. lilysy says

The recipe is so simple! This looks amazing and will be a wonderful addition to our meals. Thank you!

4. Yvonne says

Thanks for making it printable. I think we’ll have to give it a try in next months food menu!

5. Liz Stewart says

Question about the freezing part: Do you freeze before or after cooking? Does it change the baking time if you do freeze? Defrost before baking? Sorry I have so many questions! Thanks a bunch! Looks like I’ll be trying this sometime soon!

When I made it recently, I froze it uncooked in freezer bags and then just thawed and dumped it into the pan to cook. I think it’d probably taste a tad better this way than actually baking it first and then freezing.

6. Gina says

I don’t eat cheese, but I am sure if I was to make it without cheese it would still taste great.

7. Becky says

This would have been perfect to make with the enchiladas I made the other night with my free container of cooking creme from Philly.
    I have to admit though, the name throws me off— rice isn’t supposed to be green lol

8. Bean says

sounds yummy! Question though – cooked rice – will leftover cooked rice from the day before that’s been in the fridge overnight work, or should it be fresh cooked rice?

9. Megan says

Oh my goodness Crystal, how do you stay so slim?!?

Seriously, though, this looks delicious. I think I’ll make it for an upcoming potluck (otherwise my husband and I would polish it off ourselves!).

10. Naomi C says

So…
    Do you think you could through some beans or shredded beef or chicken in there with a yummy effect???
    Sounds good, but I am a one dish kindof cook, and my family usually does meat in our dishes.

• KimH says

Absolutely.. I was thinking chicken myself for a one dish kinda yum! (But I gotta have my flesh protein! ;) )

• Tracy says

I say try it out. I’m the same way and have been tweeking recipes a bit lately. Everything turns out great and my family can’t get enough. You won’t know unless you try. :)

11. Eileen says

This looks great! Just curious, I have all of the ingredients on hand except for green chiles. But I have a surplus of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles. Yucky? Yummy?
    Thank you!

Will be bringing this to the church fellowship meal. We do Mexican the first Sunday each month–perfect! Thanks for the idea. Will probably throw some chicken in there too :)

The mystery of the Green Rice Casserole is solved. You’ve mentioned sooooo many times in the past few months and I kept saying to myself….when will she ever tell us what this is? So last week when you said the recipe was coming this week I was so excited! Thank you for sharing. Sounds wonderful!

I’m so sorry it took me forever to get this posted. I should have a policy that I don’t mention a recipe until the week I’m actually planning to post it. :)

14. Chandler says

We make this same dish except we use frozen tater tots instead of rice. It is really yummy (goes good with fish sticks. lol)

• chandler says

Correction our recipe doesn’t call for eggs. However, not I am thinking cheesy hashbrown omelets with a variation of this recipe. Sweet!

15. Jen says

Thanks for sharing! That’s not at all what I was picturing when you mentioned green rice before. This sounds waaaay yummy!

I just made this using pepper jack cheese ($0.50 recently at Publix) and 2 Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice pouches (brown) that were recently free. I had no idea how I was going to use those two items in my stockpile so when I saw this, I though the pepper jack cheese could substitute for the chilis (which I don’t have).

Not bad for a meal that took less that five minutes from reading this post to putting it in the oven!

My version is way too spicy for the two year old but the other kids are having this for dinner with some fresh fruit. I think I will try this again in a few weeks with the suggested cheese and without the green chilis (I don’t like them). I’ll add chicken and maybe black beans. It won’t be green rice casserole but might just be a new main course for us.

Thanks Crystal!

Yum-O!! You just can’t go wrong with green chilis in my opinion….I needed something to go along with Salmon Patties tonight, and this was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

18. Heather says

Thank you so much for this recipe! We have 2 boxes of brown rice at our house and 2 out of 3 people here (myself not included) don’t like it. I bet they’ll like it cooked like this though! Thank you!

• Erin says

Oh, yeah! I “hide” brown rice in cheesy corn and beans over rice: I cook brown rice in my rice cooker. Then I combine one packet of Sazon with 1 can of black beans and about 1.5-2 c frozen corn (roast the corn in a hot, dry pan first for better flavor). Add corn and beans to the rice and top with cheese. Keep warm in the rice cooker until ready to eat.

19. Lynda says

Made this tonight since we had all of the ingredients except the chilies (husband stopped to get them on sale at Bi-Lo on the way home) and it was EXCELLENT. It was before you added in the parsley in the recipe, but it was great without it and next time we will try it with the parsley! :) Just shows that if someone doesn’t like parsley it is still great!

20. KimH says

Sounds totally wonderful to me.. Now I have to decide if a migraine is worth it since thats what i usually get when I eat chilis.. Its tough.. I have 20+ cans in my pantry, I was raised a few miles from Mexico and I love chilis in anything! ;)
    I think Im gonna have to suffer & try some soon!
    Thanks! ;)

Don’t kill me; I hate correcting grammar, but I think you meant “complement” rather than “compliment” unless of course the rice dish was praising the burritos. ;-)

22. Dan says

Hey, I am looking for any amazon baby store or diaper codes that you may not be using and want to share. I am a single dad with an 8 month oold boy. His mom left about a month ago and we haven’t heard from her. I am struggling to pay for everything he needs and if you have any codes it would be greatly appreciated. gleefal@hotmail(dot)com

Wow, when I first saw this post, I thought it said green BEAN casserole and I couldn’t believe all these people that had never heard of it. Then someone said something about the rice being green and I was like, wait a second…I went back and reread the title. Oops!! This sounds really good. I’ll have to try it out soon. :)

24. Kristin says

Thank you I made it for dinner. We had fish tacos and I was not sure what to put with it and this was perfect.

25. Amy says

I think instead of the parsley I think that I might try fresh chopped cilantro. My husband and I love cilantro and I think that it would go good with the green chilies. Thanks for the recipe.

26. anonymous says

This looks delicious!! One of my daughters is vegetarian and I am always looking for filling, meatless dishes!!

27. Dana says

Planning to make this tonight! We love spicy food and it sounds like this will be a hit with enchiladas! Thanks Crystal! :)

28. Jessica says

Crystal, have you ever used olive oil, skim milk, or reduced-fat cheese in the casserole? I’m sure you would have thought of those things in order to lower the fat content, so I’m wondering if you tried and it just didn’t taste the same for some reason with this particular receipe?

No, but only because we’re a family who typically goes for full fat in our food. :) I’m sure it could be made with substitutions, though!

29. Paula says

Is the rice minute rice or long grain? I don’t cook much, so I wouldn’t know which one you were talking about.

30. AMBER says

Yay! I LOVE it when you post recipes. My family adores the soup recipe you posted! Thanks!

31. Jodie Jones says

I made this for my family last night when I saw it posted yesterday! It was delicious! I made it before you noticed the missing parsley. It was so good, I am hesitant to add parsley when I make it again! I used it as a simple vegetarian main dish, with fruit on the side and brownies for dessert last night. We all thought it was a great meal. Thanks again for the recipe!