Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Wheat Thins

Two Peas and Their Pod show you how to make homemade Wheat Thins. I’m definitely trying this recipe soon as I love Wheat Thins and would love them even more if I could re-create them at home!

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. Tammy says

I love Wheat Thins too! I can’t wait to try these! If anyone has a Triscut recipe out there.. I would be eternally grateful!

I’ll have to try this recipe! I have a similar, but slightly simpler, wheat thin recipe that is great. Tastes just like the “real thing” (minus all the junk, of course).

3. Ashley says

I have a hand wheat grinder that my mom gave me that I’ve used and tried to make things with the wheat I ground, but it never works out. I really want to try these…does anyone know of any websites where I can learn more about grinding my own wheat?

Is your wheat grinder giving you a fine flour? Most hand-cranked wheat grinders do not (except for the Country Living Mill, which is pricey). Some hand-cranked ones only crack wheat (though they claim to make flour). Others make flour, but it is very coarse.

I put together the best courses I could find for wheat grinding information, wheat grinders, places to buy wheat (and other bulk foods) here. I hope that helps you!

• Ashley says

It doesn’t make a fine flour. :( I figured that was the problem. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I’ll look through what you’ve given me. :)

• Barbara says

I’ve not tried it but I’ve heard you can put it back through the mill more than once so you can get finer flour. Maybe this would work? If you are interested in making your own breads and crackers, etc. you might want to invest in an electric mill. I’ve had mine about 15+ years. I love having freshly ground flour!

4. LoriMc says

I make a HM version of Wheat Thins that seems much less work than this. The main ingredients of the recipe I make uses uncooked oatmeal, flour and wheat germ and you can do the rolling & cutting directly on the two cookie sheets.
    Haven’t made them in a while, but after the HM graham cracker posting a short time ago and now this one…I think it’s a sign that I need to make some crackers!! LOL!

5. Ashley says

Here is the version I make:

“UN-WHEAT THINS CRACKERS”

2 Cups almond flour
    ¾ Cup plain yogurt (or applesauce)
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp turmeric
    3 Tbsp honey
    Kosher salt

Combine almond flour, baking soda, salt and turmeric in food processor bowl. Add yogurt and honey. Combine until smooth. Spread half the mixture on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and then spread using a small rolling pin or even your hands. Should be 1/8th inch thick. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes or until starting to brown. Cool completely then cut into squares using a pizza cutter. Dehydrate for 8 hours on high for a crispy cracker. Repeat with rest of mixture.

These are way better than regular wheat thins to me!

I got this recipe for Wheat Thins from an email list about 10 years ago. These taste JUST like Wheat Thins but much healthier. I double the recipe when I make them because the first batch flies off the plate. They will keep up to a week, but usually don’t last that long.

Homemade Wheat Thins

3 C uncooked oatmeal
    2 C unbleached white flour (may substitute 1C whole wheat flour for the white)
    1 cup wheat germ
    3 tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup oil
    1 cup water

Mix all together, and roll out onto 2 cookie sheets. Sprinkle with salt.

Lightly roll again to press salt in. Cut into squares or diamonds – a pizza cutter works well. Bake at 350°. After 15 minutes begin checking the crackers and remove the ones that are golden brown and hard.

Continue checking every 3-5 minutes. Optional sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds before baking.

• LoriMc says

This is the same recipe that I make. I’ve made different varieties such as sprinkling garlic and/or onion powder along with the salt, or omitting the salt and doing a cinnamon/sugar mixture on top. Very yummy crackers!!

These crackers are very good! :) I just made them a couple weeks ago (the recipe is from King Arthur Flour — and their recipes are usually great!) and they do taste like Wheat Thins! :)

8. Carole says

I make sourdough wheat thins with my starter and we LOVE them! Especiallly with McCormick Maple seasoning and kosher salt sprinkled on them before baking!
    I use 1 c. of starter blended with 1/4 c. melted coconut oil, mix in about a cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. let that sit all day to “soak”, then divide in half and roll out super super thin on your stone or cookie sheet. brush with olive oil and sprinkle your salt and seasonings (rosemary is good, too!) and bake at 350 for 10 min. THEN TURN OFF OVEN AND LET COOL IN OVEN for another 15 min. or so. this makes them nice and crispy!!

9. Carole says

forgot to mention to use a pizza cutter to slice them into wheat-thin-sized squares before baking! :-)

10. shannon says

My Superfresh in N.Wildwood, NJ is selling Rayovac batteries for 75% off. They come out to $0.97 and I have $1/1 coupons so they will be free + overage.