Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Face Wash

Simple Organized Living shows you how to make your own face wash.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. Anny says

I am so hypersensitive to any of the face washes this may be the answer.
    My skin is now getting dry and this is all natural….. I will be trying it and passing it on. Thanks for posting it.

2. Sara Z. says

I, too, have been using this method for a year. I bought one small (6 ounce, I think) bottle of Castor Oil and one large bottle of Sunflower oil. Total cost invested – less than $5.

Now, a year later, I have only just used the last of my Castor oil (though the face wash I made up with it will still last me another month or two) and I still have 1/2 bottle of sunflower oil.

I tend towards dry/sensitive skin though I do occasionally get a pimple on my chin. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 castor oil and the rest sunflower. It has worked great for me! My skin is soft and I get fewer pimples than in the past. I do still have to use a moisturizer, but my skin is just that dry :)

3. Jaybee says

Thanks so much for this post! I recently went to the store and my Olay face wash had jumped from 3 to 5 dollars. I have been looking for a good alternative. Love the website I always find good ideas here.

4. Lori Jeffries says

I have looked high and low for sunflower oil in my area and have had to settle for Olive Oil. I LOVE this method of washing my face. I was pestered with little pimples that have all but disappeared. The few that do show up disappear before they become a problem. I have been able to all but do away with moisturizer.

I have taken this one step farther. We live in a desert climate. I use olive oil on my heels (with a pumice stone scrub) and then steam it off with a washcloth. I also do the same with my elbows and on various dry patches on my skin. The side benefit is that I am not using as much lotion on my hands either. I can’t believe how well this works.

5. Susan says

Oil is the best thing to moisturize with. Before making a large batch of cleanser, I would check the levels of castor oil first. Some people, depending on their skin type, may need more or less castor oil. Figure out the amounts first, then make up your bottle. Even better than sunflower or olive oil is jojoba oil. Instead of being made up of primarily triglycerides, it is composed of wax esters of fatty acids which more resemble the oils from your body.

I made this today with some castor oil I had from a few past home-made beauty products. I like the results so far, so I’ll have to see what happens in the coming weeks and months.