Ask the Readers: Pressure canner recipes?

Today’s question is from Ramie:

I bought a new pressure canner and am very interested in recipes that go beyond the basics. Do you have any great recipe suggestions?

Do you have a question you’d like to ask Money Saving Mom® readers? Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

I bought my first pressure canner just two summers ago and I love how many more things I’m able to can with it than I was able to with just a water bath canner.

One thing to be sure of when purchasing a pressure canner… make sure you are actually buying a pressure canner not a pressure cooker. They are two different pieces of equipment. All pressure canner can be used as a pressure cooker but you can’t use a pressure cooker to can with.

And the most helpful site I’ve found for all things canning related is the Yahoo Group Canning 2… http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canning2/.

Everyone there is so helpful and always willing to answer any question you might have. There are lots of recipes and instruction in the group files with everything from how to can meat to how to can beans to meals in a jar such as stew and soups.

2. Deb H. in Wisconsin says

I have a pressure cooker canner that I use for canning. I have a smaller pressure cooker that I use for potatoes, squash, pumpkin and beets. I do know a lady who has 10 children (all out of the home now) and she used hers for EVERYTHING. She said that it was the way she could cook food fast for her crew. She said that roasts are great done in one.

3. MB says

This site is great for pressure cooker recipes: http://missvickie.com/. Pressure canners are similar only they are larger and one can actually can stuff to be put away for later (in jars). For canning recipes I suggest the Blue Ball Canning Book (can be picked up at most big box stores or local hardware stores), your local library or your local agricultural extension office.

4. stephanie says

Check your local library. If they don’t have any books available, ask the librarian if they participate in an inter-library loan. Most libraries don’t advertise this, but if you ask they will get it for you. I am sure you can find something about pressure canning there.
    Ball Canning book is great.

5. Emily says

Definitely check out one of the Blue Ball canning books. There are tons of recipes for both pressure and water bath canners. I’m sure you could find them at your library, however I found it very helpful to have a copy at home so that I could easily reference a recipe while in the middle of canning.

6. Cathy says

The Ball Big Book of Canning and Preserving…goes beyond the basic Ball book with over 400 pages of recipes.

7. Lacey says

MSM, please do a larger post later about this very topic. I am saving these comments b/c we plan on canning for the first time this summer. I feel that most everyone should be doing this to be prepared.

Get a Better Homes Cookbook! I have one copy from the 70’s that I picked up in a garage sale years ago, and then one of the ladies from my church gave one as a wedding shower gift. There is a big section on canning, as well as instructions on how long to use your canner and at what pressure. I’ll have my canner going all day during portions of the summer.

I’ll be canning quite a bit this summer, and I’ll be posting recipes and ideas on my blog as well.

Using old canning books can be dangerous. The latest testing has changed canning times and pressures for some items. Toxins have gotten stronger over time, apparently, and you wouldn’t want to make anyone sick.

I use the Ball Blue Book and the Ball Complete Guide to Home Canning. I won’t play around with any canning recipes that have not been tested. I’m very, very leery of stuff people put up on sites that they ‘invented’…you need to really understand how canning works in regard to acidity and alkalinity before you go inventing…just my 2 cents.

-Laura at TenThingsFarm

I have grown up canning, but also using a pressure cooker for cooking. I love cooking dried beans in me pressure cooker. It is so fast and if you want to freeze cooked beans, cooking up a big batch in the canner is a great way to do it. We also used to cook a couple chickens at a time that way, debone, freeze or can again.
    When I lived without electricity, I used to can almost every week jars of meat like chicken, ground beef or meatballs.
    You can also make roasts and turn them into shredded beef in a very short time, even tough ones.

I’m another one that loves the Ball Blue Book. For more modern recipes (though I think almost all are water bath), I really like Canning for a New Generation, by Lianna Krissoff. It’s a great, modern book.

In my pressure canner, I do beans (turn out great and very convenient), chicken broth, and soup, mostly. I also do some of my tomatoes with pressure in the summer, because the processing time is much shorter than with the water bath.

Have fun! I love to can. It’s very satisfying.

12. LAURA says

I have a pressure cooker and use the heck out of it. I can go to the store and buy the cheapest meat and just 20 min in the pressure cooker it is falling apart tender. I can make a pot of chili from scratch with dry beans (no soaking) in 20 min and it tastes like it has been in a crock-pot all day. I don’t trust leaving a crock-pot on while I was at work because it can catch on fire so my Mom bought me a pressure cooker and I would trade any appliance I have for it. It has saved me so much money on meat and makes the best stews you will ever eat. Especially if you have a hunter in your family.

13. Becca says

Does anyone know of any sites that may ease my fear of pressure canners/cookers? I have always been warned about the dangers of these, so I am a bit leary of using it. I do own one but I always make my husband do the canning with that while I use the water canner.

14. LAURA says

I don’t use a stove one because I was scared but the elect ones have valves that release if the pressure builds up to much. But I don’t can I just use it to cook with.

15. Jamie Rathbun says

I agree with Laura at Ten Things Farm. Don’t mess around with old recipes. Make sure they are tested. The two resources she has listed are great. Also check out the University of Georgia food preservation website, http://www.soeasytopreserve.com. They are my go to resource on canning questions; they do tons of research on recipes and different methods of canning.
    A good resource for tested canning recipes would be your local County Cooperative Extension Office. Here in our office, we also test the pressure gauges. This should be done every year. These gauges my be off a pound or 2 which can greatly affect the quality of your food, taste and food safety.

16. Margie says

I agree with Laura and Jamie. You definitely don’t want to “create” new recipes for pressure canning. The risks are just too great. Another source that I have found helpful, where people are very conscientious to give current, accurate advice is on a garden web forum, http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/. There are lots of recipes there that I have found very helpful. Happy canning!