A secret project I’ve been working on

I’ve been working on a secret project since the beginning of January. I’m no good at keeping secrets, so I’ve been bursting at the seams to tell you all, but I had to wait until a bunch of details were in place before I could do so.

And the day has finally come.

The secret? I’m writing a book!

How it all came about was a crazy, bizarre set of circumstances and I’m still pinching myself that this is really and truly for real.

Writing a book has long been on my list of “things I hope to do someday”, but it was one of those big dreams which seemed very much out of reach right now. So, the idea’s been tucked into the back part of my brain and left there. I figured once my children were older, it’d be something I might pull back out and pursue.

Well, God had other plans. In November of 2010, a vice president at a publishing company happened to stumble upon my blog. He emailed me the same day and asked me to call him about a book deal.

When I got the email, I wondered if it were a fluke or a prank. But no, investigation showed he was the real deal. I was incredulous that anything would come of it, but Jesse and I decided to go ahead and call him.

I was shocked when I called him and he basically said, “We’d like to offer you a book deal. What do you want to write on?”

He was very thorough in explaining how it would work, what they were expecting from me and the time frame they were thinking. I just sat on the other end shaking my head. This can’t be for real.

But it was real and I had to face reality and decide whether I wanted to take the plunge into a completely unknown world. It was daunting and I was scared.

Jesse and I spent the next few weeks praying about it and seeking the counsel of people who know us best. I was a lot more hesitant than Jesse as I could only imagine what effort would be required to write a 50,000-word manuscript in a short time frame. But Jesse continued to assure me he thought I should do this and that he would be right by my side as my biggest supporter and cheerleader (which he totally has been!)

I knew I’d have to delegate some of my other responsibilities in order to devote time to writing a book (I’m not superwoman!), so I prayed that if God wanted me to accept the book deal, He would provide an assistant for me. It was a tall order because I was looking for a very specific skill set in a person as well as a certain type of personality and I was really not sure anyone in our area would fit the bill.

God’s pretty amazing at answering “tall orders”, though. That very same week, God brought Megan into my path. She had all the skills and qualifications I was looking for, she was already considering a job change and she and I just “clicked”. I hired her in January and she’s taken a huge weight of responsibilities off my shoulders so I can focus on writing, blogging and being a wife and mom.

With all the lights staying clearly green to us regarding the book deal, I accepted the publisher’s offer in January and embarked on this new adventure. Truly, I’ve loved almost every moment of it, even if it has been a little grueling at times.

My manuscript is due to the publisher on May 1, 2011 — yes, about five weeks away. Needless to say, it’s crunch time around here and I hope you’ll bear with me if you email and don’t hear back from me until after May. I promise I’m not ignoring you personally, I’m just pretending my email is not piling up so that I can focus on cranking out this manuscript. :)

In addition, for the next five weeks, I won’t be posting weekly menus, likely won’t be sharing details and pictures of my shopping trips and will most probably not be posting quite as much. I’ll still be sharing lots of deals, great guest posts and reader tips and writing posts as I’m able, but if you don’t see updates quite as often or I don’t have a chance to respond to your comment, you’ll know why.

Never fear, once May 1 arrives, I should be back to my usual posting schedule. (And you just might hear a big sigh of relief coming from this part of the country!)

Thank you, in advance, for your patience. And if you think of me, I’d so appreciate your prayers as I finish up this project.

If all goes as planned, the book will be available for sale in January 2012. All of my profits from the sale of the book will be donated to Compassion — a ministry our family whole-heartedly believes in and is thrilled to support.

Comments

1. Mylynda Levine-Smith says

I am so proud for you and your family. God is so awesome and faithful to provide. Good luck and I cannot wait to read your first book. My fellow couponers and I will be praying for energy and a clear mind for you to finish up with.

2. Jeanette says

What a gift you received from God, and what a greater gift you will be giving to so many people when you complete your book. I so enjoy your blog. Congratulations to you!!

How exdciting!!! You are deffinitely perfect for the job and such an inspiration to me! I hope that it all turns out well (which it will since God has chosen you for the job) and that you’ll be able to pull it off without stressing out too much. Great job!!!

4. Amy says

This is AWESOME news! And the date is pretty funny since I also will have a sigh of relief since baby #3 is due the next day lol. I will definitely be buying the book also! And think about all those people you will be helping, not only the people who will be buying the book but the children of Compassion as well!!!! So congrats!!

5. Tara says

How wonderful to see God rewarding your faithfulness. Also, love the fact that you are donating the profits to Compassion.

6. lorrie says

Congratulations!!! Can’t wait for the book and praying for you and your family. What a great cause to suppport, Compassion. Isn’t God good to fulfill your dreams in this area of writing a boook!

7. Julia says

WOW!!! I am beyond thrilled for you. Looking forward to May 1st. Good luck until then!!!

8. Karen says

Congratulations! You have blessed my life through this blog and now you have the opportunity to bless more. Know that I am praying for you as you finish your writing.

9. Diane says

Congratulations! You are a great writer. I really do like reading your articles and I’m sure this will be a great book. I’m very happy for you!

10. Shannon says

Well, I have been faithfully visiting this site since I found it and it has been such a blessing! Out of all the “frugal sites” I visit this one the most. You definitely have our support!! I would be thrilled to buy your book once it is in print. best of luck! We know you can do it!!!

11. Kris says

How very cool!! I love following your blog and can’t wait to see what God has placed on your heart to share with all of us in your book!!!

12. Ginnie says

God is so good! What exciting news and I know your book will be fabulous. Will pray that you are given the grace and strength to cross that finish line!

13. Morgan says

This is my first comment on one of your posts, and I just have to say I think it is truly amazing that all your proceeds are going towards Compassion. I was reading your post, I was thinking, “wow, this is great, I can’t wait to buy her book – and she is going to make a lot of hard-earned money from this!” Then I saw your comment about Compassion and I was just blown away. My husband and I are newlyweds and we chose to support another Compassion child along with a child I have been supporting on my own since college. I don’t know if I would have the strength to give all the proceeds from my own book if I wrote one; but then again, I guess that’s God’s grace working through you.

Thank you for being a vessel of his love, grace and glory. While I don’t even know you, I am so encouraged by you! I will be praying for your writing process these next few weeks and I’m excited to buy your book and support Compassion!

14. Julie says

I am so excited to hear your news, it sounds like not only a wonderful opportunity but a blessing as well. I say, “You go girl!” I will keep you in my prayers.

15. KimH says

I think this is a WONDERFUL secret!! Congratulations to you!! Praying & wishing you all the best, always!!!

16. alissa delucio! says

Can’t wait to buy it!!!! Please give us details on Title etc so I can keep an eye out

Wow! That is amazing!! You continue to amaze me at your willingness to take things a step further and your humility in doing so. The fact that you’re giving all of your proceeds to Compassion is, in my book, a real tribute to your character! Congratulations and may the Lord continue to bless you on this journey!

18. April says

So thrilled for you! Glory to God – His faithfulness and your response to Him are such an inspiration! Thank you.

19. Jamie says

Yay! I am so excited for you! I am planning on buying it already regardless of what it is about! We love Compassion and love supporting it’s ministry, so one more way to contribute will be our pleasure! :-)

20. Emily says

Wow, that is awesome!! Plus you are a rock star for giving your proceeds to Compassion. I love, love, love them. I am praying the Lord will bless you in another way instead.

21. sandy says

Congratulations! I’m so excited for you. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers. I can’t wait to read it.

22. melissa says

I noticed you can already pre-order it at Amazon.com.

Woot! Woot! Way to go, Crystal!!

23. Allyson H says

I have been reading your blogs for 2 and a half years. I have been wondering all along when you would write a book! So, it’s about time Crystal! Seriously, I can’t wait to read it and it will be awesome. You are amazing and your book will be too.

24. Melanie says

That is great! Writing a book has always been a dream of mine too. but I have never gone through with writing one. Prayers to u on your journey!

25. KimF says

So excited for you. You have been such a blessing to me now you can bless even more people. Congrates!!!

26. meagain2 says

how awesome, congrats, and god bless. let us know in june how it feels to have a number one best seller, believing that for you

27. Jenna says

congratulations! very excited for you. have lifted you, your family, and your words of wisdom for this book up in prayer. you have impacted so many lives, you are not even aware of. god is going to double that (or more) now with this book. what a blessing!

28. Elke says

Congratulation on your calling, God is good all the times and he knew that you would make a great writer, I love your Blog and love your Budget Series. Will of course buy the Book and keep you in my dailey prayers.
    Elke

I was waiting for this post, I just knew it would come sometime! I love seeing people reach their goals! Keep reaching!

30. Georgia says

I’ve always thought you were a great writer, since the days of Polished Cornerstones… (wasn’t that ages ago? ;-) Good for you!

Congrats Crystal! I was just thinking the other day that it would be great if you put out a book and shared some more of your great tips and personal experiences. Blessings to you as you embark on this amazing journey!

32. jessica leman says

honestly, when I first read that you were writing a book I thought to myself “you are going to be plowing in the money from that!” and I was excited for you. Then at the end when I saw all profits are being given to compassion I got teary eyed and I was excited for all those little ones who will be blessed by your efforts, by the wonderful grace of God.
    Thanks for your example. I’ll be prayerful for you Crystal.

33. Liz Stewart says

Oh, I am so excited for you and your new book! You should do a book signing tour. I would be first in line :D God is good!

34. Cara says

Crystal, Congratulations! I think you are wonderful for using the profits to support your charity – I wish there were more people out there like you!

35. Sarah says

How wonderful is our God! He always has the best for us in his time. Prayers for you and your family as you take on this adventure. God will be by your side and giving you that little push when you need it.