This Week’s Menu Plan: The 15-Minute Meals Edition

(My little kitchen “helper”!)

One of the things I do when planning our weekly menus on Saturday is to consult our upcoming week’s schedule. In doing so on Saturday, I realized we had a busy week ahead of us. So I’m sticking with simple meals — most which can be made in 15 minutes or less.

Breakfasts:

Leftovers

Dinners:
Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls
Tilapia, Sweet Potatoes, Homemade French Bread, Broccoli
Turkey Sausage and Potatoes, Green Salad, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls
Italian Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, French Bread
Taco Soup, Best Ever Cornbread (recipe coming on Thursday!)
Dinner Out
Dinner at In-Law’s House

Comments

1. danielle says

i think our little guys are around the same age. i’m wondering if Silas eats the dinners that you prepare above or do you make something different for him?

• laura Nelson says

I have to thank you for your recipe for the pumpkin carrot cake muffins. I have twin 2 year olds (boy and girl), and my son won’t eat any veggies. I made these muffins and he LOVES them. I’m so happy to be able to give him healthy treats everyday that have veggies in them. He eats a couple everyday:)

2. judy says

thank you for posting this, gives me ideas! i’m always fretting about what to feed my toddler!

Oh my goodness! lol Your ‘helper’ helps like my youngest (she’s 2.5).. I have a lock on my pantry and laundry room for that reason but I don’t always remember to lock it back :) Too bad there isn’t really a good lock for the fridge or a way to keep them off counter tops!

Just wondering, do you buy fresh Tilapia, or use frozen? I’m hesitant to buy frozen because I’m afraid it won’t taste good, or will stink up the kitchen when I cook it. Any suggestions? Is there a type to look for?

• DJ says

Sam’s has really good frozen Parmesan Crusted Tilapia if you need a quick fix for dinner that’s relatively healthy.

• Jennifer Ledford says

We had parm. crusted tilapia last night. We have a family of 5 and it comes with 10 in the package and runs about $11. I was wondering if this was a good price. I think its between 2-3 lbs. total weight. I love the ease of preparation, but I’m also not afraid to get me hands dirty IF it saves significant $. If we are talking 50 cents by the time I buy the parm. I won’t be saving much.

5. Lori F. says

Crystal, I have been reading this site for quite some time and have taken many suggestions but was reluctant to try menu planning. I thought I would somehow lose the fun that came with spontaneity. I love to cook and try new recipes and I felt that menu planning would restrict that creativity.

Two weeks ago I sat down and used your two-week menu planning worksheet and I am now completely converted to menu planning. What a relief it is to check my sheet immediately after the kids leave for school and know just what my game plan will be for supper.

One day last week I was feeling a bit sick and I needed to rest a lot to fight whatever bug it was that was trying to get me down. If I hadn’t had a written menu, we probably would have eaten take-out that night. Instead, we had a nice (and easily prepared) pot of beef vegetable soup and cheesy-dill biscuits for supper. And the cooking was therapeutic for my mood. I didn’t have to feel a bit guilty about taking it easy for a day because my family had a nice, nutritious supper.

Thanks so much for your constant inspiration and ministry.

6. Jenna says

An idea for you: if you add some eggs to that turkey amd sausage you would have a yummy frittata that could also work as a breakfast or brunch meal.

7. Yvonne says

That green chili chicken & lime soup sounds awesome! I’m adding it to our menu as I type. Do you find that you have any leftover that could be frozen and used for a second dinner later on? Thanks so much for sharing! :)

The Green Chile Chicken and Lime Soup looks so delicious! I don’t eat meat, but I think this recipe sounds like a good one to experiment with to see if I can come up with a good meat-free version. This week’s menu plan is already done, but it’s definitely going on next week’s.

And thanks for pointing out about the schedule. I learned a lesson recently – always have an ‘easy’ meal that comes together quickly on the plan, because things change and there might be a day that you run out of time.

9. Shannon L says

I’m still trying to figure this out. Is there a difference between steel cut oats and groats?

Btw Aldi has steel cut oats on special this week. I’ve never cooked them before, so I only bought one container. And now I have a recipe.

Thanks Crystal.

10. Jess says

With all the talk about Steel Cut oats out there I thought I’d try them on my family this morning. YUM! I found them for $1.25 per pound. Is that a good price? There were leftovers and I’m seriously considering warming them up at lunchtime today! :)

11. Lindsey says

I couldn’t resist the green chili and lime soup! I had almost everything to make it so stopped at the store and picked up the last couple of items. I just finished eating it and it is wonderful!! I used the rotel with lime and cilantro because its what I had on hand and it’s delicious!