This Week’s Menu Plan

Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bread recipe I created this week (I’ll share it next week!)

Breakfasts:
Oatmeal
Smoothies, Toasted Bagels with Cinnamon/Turbinado
Muffins
Steel Cut Oat Groats with Walnuts and Raisins
Smoothies, English Muffins
Fresh Orange/Carrot/Apple Juice, Toasted Bagels with Cinnamon/Turbinado
Raisin Toast, Scrambled Eggs

Lunches:
Chicken hot dogs
Macaroni & Cheese
Leftovers
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
Cheese Quesadillas
Seapak Frozen Fish (they sent us some free products to try)
Leftovers

Dinners:
Chili Burgers, Seasoned Baked Potato Wedges, Steamed veggies, pineapple
Tilapia, Sweet Potatoes, Homemade French Bread, Broccoli
Turkey Sausage and Potatoes, Steamed veggies, Fruit, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls
Steak, Mashed potatoes, Homemade Cinnamon/Sugar Bread, Steamed veggies
3-Bean Chili Chowder, English Muffins, Veggies/Fruit
Dinner With Friends
Dinner at Extended Family’s House

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup (I tweaked the originally recipe a tad, but it was very delicious and I’ll definitely be making it again!)

Comments

I’ll be posting the Three Bean Chili Chowder recipe soon — if my family all likes it. It’s one we ate a lot growing up but I forgot about it and haven’t made it in years, so I’m not sure if I’ll still consider it a “winner” or not! :)

Chili Burgers are basically just hamburgers with some spices and seasonings thrown in.

Do you like Tilapia? I have a terrible time with the texture. I find it crumbles when I cook it. I prefer Red Snapper, but Trader Joe’s has discontinued it and I’m trying to find a good replacement white fish.

I really love that you are posting your menus. I tried the bread machine rolls last week–YUM! So good and really easy. I can’t wait to try the french bread. I found yeast at Sam’s extra cheap. (I went with family–I don’t have a membership). I can’t wait to try the Green chili chicken and lime soup. Thanks so much!

3. Nicole says

Oh thanks for posting your menu plans! It gives such inspiration to what we’ve been doing. :) Made my Homemaking Binder this weekend – excited to put it to use! Can’t wait for that cinnamon raisin bread recipe…looks ah-mazing! I haven’t had a ton of luck with bread machines, tho. I must be doing something wrong… Any words of wisdom??

• Lori F. says

I felt the same way Nicole. I went back to using my KitchenAid for bread making. The way I look at it, the KitchenAid is a more versatile appliance since you can use it to mix cookies, cakes, egg whites, whipped cream, etc. I gave my bread machine back to the person who gifted it to me. I’ve had the same KitchenAid for more than 20 years and it’s still performing like a champ.

4. Carie says

What was the outcome of the crock pot oatmeal with steel cut oats? I have been waiting for an update. If it worked for you I may venture out on that one.

I keep chickening out on trying it after throwing out the last crockpot full of oatmeal “goo”. I’ll work up my courage soon — hopefully! :)

• Kate says

Oh, I found the solution to that one! Fill your crockpot about 1/2 way with water, then put a smaller bowl inside the crockpot. (any oven safe bowl should work.). Your oatmeal ingredients go inside the smaller bowl, and will cook in a water bath. Cook on low 7 hours or so. No mush as long as you use steel cut oats! :)

• Courtney says

I made it last week and it tasted great – but wow, the crockpot cleanup required quite a bit of elbow grease! I’m not sure if I’ll make it again just because of the sticky mess it made.

5. Jenna says

Looking forward to hearing any tricks you have for getting the raisins to actually STAY IN your bread. Very impressive!! Everytime I make that we end up having cinnamon swirl bread with a side of escaped raisins :).

Can I just come over for lunch every day this week?? :)

I hope you love the potato wedges! :)

I need to try your bread machine rolls before winter is over! :)

7. Tricia says

Crystal,
    Your bread looks amazing!! Do we really have to wait until next week for you to post the recipie?

8. Lise says

This looks delicious! I am on pins and needles to get that bread recipe!

How did you tweak the chicken and lime soup? We’ve been wanting to try it as well and your broth looks more substantial than the one in the original…

9. Heather says

Thank you so much for all your menu planning tips.
    I started following your blog over the summer and was overwhelmed by the thought of being able to plan out meals in advance. At the time I had a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old.
    I used one of your worksheets and this is the first week we are working with a menu planned out. My husband told me last night that he feels great relief knowing in advance what we’re having for dinner. It’s only Tuesday!!

My hope is to be able to plan a month in advance to take advantage of our market deals and that will give some relief to the stress of budgeting food.

Thank you for all your help and inspiration!!

Heather

10. Del says

I tried making the soup for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing the link to the recipe. I did leave out the can of chilis since the Rotel already has green chilis and I have three little boys to include in our dinner plans! :) I would also suggest cutting back on the cilantro – the taste was a little overwhelming. Overall we really liked it and I’ll probably make it again. We topped it with crushed tortilla chips and cheddar cheese.

I was wondering how the black bean brownies from the previous week turned out? I’ve been looking around at several different recipes and can’t decide which one to try. Did you alter the recipe much? I’ve heard they can be rather crumbly.