Hamburger Vegetable Soup Recipe

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

This is the very best Hamburger Vegetable Soup I’ve ever eaten. Growing up, it was a staple recipe at our house and now it’s become one of my husband’s favorites, too.

Our children also love this soup — especially when topped with shredded cheese! It’s delicious paired with Bread Machine Buttery Rolls and the perfect way to warm up a chilly winter evening.

Comments

1. Amy L says

I’d love to try this… do you think it would work well in a crockpot?? I wonder if it freezes ok for a later freezer meal???

• Susan says

@Amy L,
      Amy,
      Potatoes get weird when you freeze them in soup, they turn into wierd sort of sponges. Now I have had good luck freezing mashed potatoes, but potatoes floating in a broth just get yucky.
      That is my experience.
      Susan

• Eileen says

You could ommit the potatoes if you really want to freeze it. The recipe looks like it makes a lot.

2. staci says

That looks so yummy! I will be adding that to the list of recipes to try VERY soon. We love soup this time of year. Thanks for sharing!

3. Vee says

Tablespoons in in caps for the salt. Is that for sure? Does it depend on the canned tomatoes or something? I assume table salt, but my goodness, that seems like a lot! Looks good though, we’ll be trying.

It’s a little heavy on the sodium, unfortunately. You can definitely trim it down though (maybe try teaspoons instead of Tablespoons and then add more if needed?). The salt seems to be what really gives this soup a great flavor, compared to other vegetable soups I’ve tried. It’s a big batch of soup, so it doesn’t end up being that much salt per serving, though, but I’d certainly say this isn’t a low sodium recipe.

4. Stacia says

Was going to make MY mom’s hamburger soup tonight, too… but got begged to make chicken and dumplings instead! Maybe tomorrow night.

5. margaret says

I have meat lovers at my house so when I make this I add bulgur and when its cooked it resembles the hamburger crumbles, also I add barley just for fiber.. such a good recipe… there is no excuse not to make a good meal for your family this is a cheap cheap way to go, and my family loves it. I also grind chicken breast up and make it with that with no tomatoes and add cumin and rice,barley,bulgar and lots of fresh garlic.

6. Ann says

I make a soup very similiar to this but use barley instead of brown rice and add some chopped potato, omitting the cabbage. I use beef consumme as the base. The rest is very similiar. Oh, I also blend up the canned tomatoes so they aren’t super chunky.

7. Charity says

Have you frozen this soup Crystal? And if so, for how long will it be good frozen? This looks like a good recipe to add to my list of things to cook and freeze before our fourth little blessing arrives. Thanks! :)

8. Shelbie says

This is a lot like my recipe for vegetable soup. I do freeze mine in small batches, and eat it when my husband is on duty (Coast Guard). I haven’t had any problems with the taste. It’s also good with pasta in it.

I can’t wait to try this. On a side note I make a vegetable beef soup and freeze it in in serving sizes then take one out for lunch in the morning and its thawed by lunch. I make it with potatoes freeze it and have never had an issue with it. They are cooked in the soup not left raw so it should be fine.

That looks yummy. My youngest looked over my shoulder and asked if I will make it soon?!

It looks a bit like the Pasta Fagiolo? soup we enjoy at Olive Garden. I think I’ll add a small amount of beans instead of the potatoes :)

• marquisha says

@Crystal, I love the pasta fagiole at OG too. I make a soup similar to Crystal’s and have always wanted to add pasta or rice to it, but I thought it would be too starchy because of the potatoes. My soup also has green beans in it. I’m going to play around with it and make it different every time to see what combination everyone likes best.

11. Heather says

I was raised on a similar soup. Had it so much that I could happily NEVER eat it again. I make lots of other kinds of soups, but not hamburger vegetable! So be wary of overdoing it with your kids!

It all started with my French grandmother eating nothing but soup as a teenager in Nazi-occupied France. So once in America, she never made soup. Her daughter, my mother, not having been served it, made it ALL the time for us. And now, for me, see above! So I guess it skips a generation.

12. Chelsea says

Yaayy! I’ve been patiently waiting for this recipe because it looked so good when you first posted a picture of it. Thanks!

13. Geenie says

This may be a silly question, but can you substitute fresh tomatoes for canned ones in a soup such as this?

Yes, or we’ve substituted frozen whole tomatoes from the garden (freeze with cored with the peels on and then just run them under tap water when ready to use and the peels slide right off! Then just thaw a little, chop and dump in the soup).

14. B says

looks delicious! i’m assuming the brown rice is uncooked, is that right? also, would this work if i threw everything together after browning the meat into the crockpot?

15. nancy says

OOOOOHHHHHH! Thios looks very yummy AND I have everything to make it tomorrow!! We love soup in our household, especially my step-daughter who is with us this weekend. :D Though I may substitute the rice with barley, only because I LOVE barley, rice not so much.

My original recipe says 16 oz., but it’s from way back when and I think they are 14.5 ounce cans now. I updated the recipe. Thanks for catching that!

16. nanasewn says

They used to be 16 oz until they started cutting contents but charging the same amount. Same with cereal, TP etc.

17. Susan F. says

I have been making soup with a VERY similar recipe for 20 years. It does freeze extremely well. Also, when I make a pot roast in the crockpot, then I will add the ingredients for the soup into the broth (leftover juices in the bottom of the crockpot) for a little extra flavor.
    AND I keep a ziploc bag in the freezer with leftover vegetables from previous dinners (corn,peas,green beans, etc) and put them in the crockpot too. A good way to use those leftover vegetables without wasting them!

18. Kelley says

I have a similar recipe but it makes about half this much, so for those who don’t need so much or don’t want to freeze it, I say just half it. My recipe uses barley in lieu of the rice as well and corn instead of potatoes. I throw in a can of black beans and add cumin!

19. Kendra says

Just printed it. I’ve never made hamburger soup so looking forward to trying this. Probably will sub beef boullion for the salt, though. Thanks for sharing this!

20. Julie says

I will definitely have to try it. I freezer cook with friends and we may need to add this our recipes.

21. andrea says

This looks so good! If you were to substitute barley for the rice though do you need to do anything different?

22. fiona says

My sister-in-law make a delicious crockpot beef stew but substitutes cauliflower for potatoes. The stew freezes great and you don’t get the mushy potatoes some others were concerned with. I think I’ll try using ground turkey instead of the beef too. Can’t wait!!

Needed something for dinner tonight, and I had most of the ingrediants on hand, so made this. Just threw everything in the crockpot (I had ground beef already cooked and in the freezer). While digging around in the freezer I found some cooked black beans, so threw them in too. I have some left over spanish rice from earlier in the week, so I will add a couple of cups of that closer to serving time. Don’t want it to get mushy since is is already cooked. Great food for our super cold weather here in TN. It was 10 degees F when I got up this AM and is is supposed to be in the mid 20′s for a high. Good soup and bread weather.

24. Laura says

I’ve never had issues with freezing soup that had potatoes in them. They taste fine too me when thawed.

25. Teria says

Crystal,
    Thanks for this recipe. I am gonna try it tomorrow and hopefully my family will love it. It sounds great!!

26. C.B. says

Hi Crystal,

I wonder if you put in the rice uncooked or cooked?
    Also, do you think crushed tomatoes could work in this recipe?
    A neighbor passed some cans on to me, so I want to use them up!
    Thanks for posting this appetizing recipe!

27. Shauna says

Thanks! I am going to add this to my menu. I am desperate for some new things to make for dinner.

This looks perfect- we love soup in the winter! I’ve made similar recipes and they work great in the slow cooker- just cook the beef and throw it all in the slow cooker to cook all day. I love the addition of cabbage to this- I’m always looking for other ways to use cabbage in the winter besides slaw. :-)

29. Becky Frost says

I have my soup cooking for tonight!! We are looking forward to eating this soup and it is making our house smell wonderfully while it is cooking.

30. Leatha says

I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! My husband really liked it too. Thank you so much for sharing!!

31. Natalie says

As soon as I read this recipe, I literally ran to the store! I knew it would make my house smell great and boy did it! We all really enjoyed it. Thanks Crystal:)!

32. jaime says

Made this last night and it was a huge hit. I have enough for lunches throughout the week. Thanks!

Mmmm, this sounds great! I think I’ll give it a go in the crockpot and maybe with beans instead of potatoes so I can freeze the leftovers. Thanks!

34. Debbie says

I made the soup today. i made it with the muir glen fire roasted no salt diced tomatoes and hawaiian salt…it came out really tasty. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

35. Linda says

I made this last night, I have to agree, this is the best homemade vegetable soup. I have made a lot of veggie soups but I think its the spice combo in this one that just does it! It smells yummy as its cooking and then you get to eat it! Thanks for the recipe, it will become one of our staples. I was also thinking that leftover chicken could be used to make a chicken veggie version. Thanks again! Very tasty!

Hey Crystal,
    I commented way up there, thanking you for the print option.
    Okay, first off, my hubby HATES soup. As in, I’ve never seen him eat soup in over 26 yrs of marriage.
    I made this soup on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, I put it in the crock pot with a bit more water, and left it to heat while we were at church.
    Later on that afternoon, hubby keeps talking about how good that soup smells. He decides to taste it. He proceeds to eat 2 bowls full!! And has another bowl before bed!! Asks when I can make more. Ha!!!
    Thank you Crystal!! I love soup, but have never made it much. No worries anymore!!