Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Oreos

My Baking Addiction shares a recipe for Homemade Oreos. These would be perfect for Valentine’s Day, though you don’t need to wait until then to whip up a batch!

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. Amanda says

WOW, these look fantastic!! Oreos are known as ‘grandpa cookie’ in my house, my dad ALWAYS has some on hand;)

PS.. those cookie dough truffles you linked too were AWESOME too!!:) I think…. we ate them all in 4 days;) oops;)

Ha, I actually made these for my husband the other day and he HATED them. :P And that’s saying something since he usually loves everything. But apparently the buttercream icing in the middle (which is basically what it is) is too much…it does taste rather buttery. Several people have likened these cookies to the ones that always get picked over at holiday get-togethers. :)

3. Rachel Haugaard says

There are a couple gals from church who bring these to potlucks once in awhile, and if you don’t get in there and get one RIGHT away they are GONE!!!!! =D They’re AMAZING, but I’ve never tried to make them myself…maybe I should give it a whirl…

Yum these cookies look great! Love the creative packaging idea, very clever and yes indeed just perfect for Valentines day. Will definitely be adding this to my collection of homemade cookie recipes. Thanks for sharing.

5. Dreya says

Our four year old loves oreos, but I rarely buy them. But, I may just try making these as a special treat!

6. Dreya says

7. Kristy Paynter says

I have to share a family secret. I can always taste the salt in other peoples cookies because of this, but if a recipe already calls for baking soda (which is salty enough) then omit any salt. We just use the baking soda and I personally think things taste 10 times better this way! Especially in our chocolate chip cookies! I am going to do this with this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing! Can’t wait to make these for my son’s class!

8. Kimberly says

I make these the “cheater” way. A box of cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup butter (softened) or vegetable oil. That’s it! Roll into balls, bake at 350 for around 9 minutes (the hardest part is telling when they’re – usually, when the top isn’t shiny anymore). Let cool. Frost with whatever vanilla frosting you have recently purchased with a coupon. :o) REALLY good, and SO fast! I’m making them tonight, in fact.

I made these over Christmas and they were wonderful. I also use the cheater way with the boxed chocolate cake mix. Another good way to enjoy them is get Andes Candies and break them in half. Right when you pull them out of the oven put the candy piece on their and kind of
    swirl it around with the back of a spoon. You get a little mint topping that way. If I do that I don’t make it into a sandwich cookie.