Yesterday’s Walmart Trip: Spent $8.94, Saved $32.38

I stopped by Walmart yesterday to use up a few of my coupons which were expiring today. Here’s what I ended up getting:

1 Woolite All-In-One Carpet Cleaner — used free product coupon

2 boxes of Tony’s Pizza — used free product coupons they sent to me

1 box Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal – $3.28, used $3/1 coupon from a recent Vocalpoint mailer = $0.28

1 small bag of cornmeal — $1.22

2 packages of Nasoya Egg Roll Wraps — used free coupons they sent to me (anyone have suggestions on how to use these other than Egg Rolls?)

1 package of Nasoya Tofu — used free product coupons

2 sets of pajamas — marked down to $1 each

2 shirts (not shown, but you can see a picture here) — marked down to $1 each

4.8 pounds of bananas — priced matched to our local store’s Thursday $0.18/lb banana deal = $0.86

Total spent: $8.94 (thanks to the tax!)
Total saved: $32.38

Comments

1. Elaine says

To use up your won ton wrappers, Chocolate ravaoli, put a teaspoon of Nutella in the middle, dampen the edges with water, fold and seal. Fry until lightly brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm or cold.

2. Abigail says

Thanks for this heads up on pjs! decided to check that out since I had to run out there today. I got myself 2 pairs of long sleeve and pant sets. I also got my son 4 fleece pants and one cotton long sleeve and pant set. spent $13, saved $40! So exciting.

3. Kristen says

I just spent a lot at Walmart since they marked down their Christmas clearance to 75% off. Lots of candles, a Christmas tree (originally $148 marked down to $37), holiday themed kids pj sets $1.25/each, and other Christmas decor. I also got some Eva Longoria perfume and Shakira perfumes. They had a bunch of kids shorts and t-shirts for $1/each and adults for $3 and $5.

4. amy brendtro says

You do not want to know how expensive bananas are in AK… Target had their pajamas marked down…. to $17.00!!

5. Revathy says

Hi Crystal,
    You can make two Indian appetizers.
    1) samosas–triangles filled with mashed potato and green pea .But needs to be fried.very popular and yummy.Google samosas.
    2) veg/chicken puffs– can be baked instead of frying.

6. Laura says

Went to Walmart hoping to find the ladies pj’s you mentioned, but they didn’t have any at my store. Instead, I scroed a holiday dress for my daughter for next year. Red velvet with white fluffy trim on collar and cuffs (like a Santa suit), size 6T. It was originally priced at $15, then the marked down sticker on it said $7.50. After reading your post about the ladies pj’s being marked down and then ringing up for less at the register, I took a chance and scanned the dress at the price checker and it was marked down to $3.75! Woohoo!

Oh, also scroed at Target…2 full-size nice, fluffy traditional Christmas stockings and a package of wrapping ribbon all for $2 total!

7. Courtney says

Lumpia Recipe
    1 package egg roll wrappers
    2 pounds ground beef or pork
    2 cups of shredded carrots
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Minced garlic, to taste

Prepare…
    Using a serrated knife, cut the square lumpia wrappers in half so that you have two stacks of triangle wrappers. Place a damp paper towel over the wrappers to keep them from drying out as you work.

Combine the pork, garlic, carrots, green pepper, onion, soy sauce, eggs, and black pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, or a rubber spatula, mix the filling well so that the seasonings are evenly distributed.

Place one of the triangle wrappers on your work surface with the long edge facing you. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling on the wrapper, fold in the sides and roll up to the triangle point.

Dip two fingers into a bowl of water, then moisten triangle point of wrapper with your fingers. Finish rolling the lumpia, then rest it on its seam. Continue rolling with the rest of the filling and lumpia wrappers.

At this point, you can freeze your rolled lumpia if you wish by placing them in freezer bags and then into your freezer.

To cook the lumpia, fill a large frying pan with about 1/2-inch of vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Gently place the lumpia into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes total (if frying frozen lumpia, it will take 1 to 2 minutes longer).

Place the fried lumpia on paper towels and serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce or BBQ sauce.

8. marilynn says

my walmart had 75% off on holiday pajamas and the cheapest sets were $3.75,not$1. Also the bananas costs .49 cents a pound

9. AJ says

I agree with the folks who suggested using the eggroll/wonton wrappers for ravioli. There are several recipes onlin. As someone mentioned, make sure to seal them well with water or else the filling will leak out when boiling. They also dry quickly so it’s good to cover them with a wet paper towel when fixing the others. It can be a bit of a project but a worthwhile one, for sure! Happy cooking!

10. Brenda says

I just came across your site this morning. I think your ideas for the new year are great!! I can totally relate to the desire to learn. I love learning new things, it keeps life fun. Actually, yesterday I made homemade from scratch laundry soap and am going to make the dishwasher soap today (first time for both). So we will see. I am glad to see there are actually other people who desire to do these things as well, alot of people look at me like I am a bit crazy. I guess they don’t see the point in making these things when you can get them at the store. Anyways, just wanted to say happy new year and I am glad I found your blog

A fellow learner,
    Brenda

Make lasanga with them! I was at a bridal shower this past week and they made a vegtable lasanga with egg roll wrappers instead of noodles. It was great! Sorry I don’t have a recipe but maybe you can use the idea.

• Jenny Leigh says

@Joscelyn,

I was watching an episode of “Sara’s Secrets” (Sara Moulton) this morning, and she did this very thing. I rushed over to share.

I love egg roll wraps! If you want to be creative make cookie dough egg rolls. Find a recipe for cookie dough w/out egg and add chocolate chips and wrap in the wrapper, fry, and ta-da! You have yum!

13. Rae says

The eggroll wrappers are actually just a very mild thin dough so they are incredibly versatile. You can make them sweet or savory depending on what you put in/on them. And soft or crunchy depending on how you cook them. You can use them for ravioli type things, wrapped, lining muffin pans, etc. I love them. I get them whenever I find them on a good manager markdown at Kroger (that and the same with wonton wrappers)

14. Tiffany says

Bums me out, our Walmart didn’t have their stuff marked down to $1 – I ran out as soon as I saw posts on those deals!

15. Virginia says

You can make pierogies out of your egg roll wraps. Cut each sheet into 4 squares and fill with a mashed potato/cheese/onion filling. Fold into little triangles. Then sautee with some onion in an oil that doesn’t have a strong flavor.

16. Amy Stamper says

I will recommend the rangoons too. We love them. You can also use the same premise. Just put the wrappers in your muffin tin and bake empty you can fill with pudding, chicken salad, fruit, etc. I do this for baby showers, birthdays, holidays, etc. People love them and always want the recipe. Let us know what you decide to do.

17. Damaris says

my sister in law makes sausage rolls they are YUMMY!! she uses shredded cheese, 8oz cream cheese, 1 package sausage, 1 packet of ranch dressing mix. cook the sausage- drain, add the cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, and shredded cheese stuff the egg roll wrappers and wrap like you would an egg roll then fry. enjoy

We stuff them with Italian sausage, sauteed onions and jalapenos, and cheddar cheese mixed together with cream cheese and bake them.

19. Becky says

I make perogies using the egg roll wrappers. I use leftover mashed potatoes and reheat them. I then add cheese (you can also add sauteed onions). Lay the egg roll wrapper out like a diamond. Mix potatoes and cheese together and then put a spoonful on half of the egg roll wrapper. Then seal the edges together using water or egg whites. I then fry them until golden brown on each side. They sort of taste like potato cakes but crispier. My whole family LOVES them!

Use the egg roll wrappers to make butternut squash ravioli (or any kind – mushroom, spinach, cheese)! Make up stuffed raviolis, freeze on a cookie sheet, then when completely frozen, put in a big plastic bag. Or cut them in strips and fry for salad toppers.

21. Carrie says

We use the egg roll (and wonton) wraps in our holiday fondue. But you can use them anytime. We fill them with cheese chunks or pineapple chunks, or leave plain. Then fold on the diagonal and seal shut with water to make a triangle, or just pinch all the corners together at the top. Then we deep fry them.

I also got some great deals at Walmart. I spent $16.60 and saved $30.06. Plus, one of my items rang up .75 too much, so I went to get my money back and in our state, we get the refund plus $5.00 back. So I saved an extra $5 by having something over charge!

Eggroll wrappers… Use them like wontons to make ravioli. My kids love this… cheese or traditional meat works great!

we use the wraps to make “crab rangoon” you can use crab meat, cream cheese, and scallions…wrap them into little triangles and then fry them….much cheaper than going to a chinese resteraunt for them! :)

24. Tammy Hodgn says

It’s a funny thing tat you asked for a recipe using the egg roll wrappers because I just used them today myself. I make pizza rolls with them. This is a favorite recipe in our house. I have teenage boys & we all love these!! Here’s the recipe.
    4 cups (16 oz) shredded pizza cheese blend or mozzarella
    1 lb bulk italian sausage, cooked and drained ( you can leave this out, I usually do)
    2 pkgs (3 oz each) sliced pepperoni, chopped
    1 med. sweet red pepper, finely chopped (optional
    1 med green pepper, finely chopped (optional
    1 med onion, finely chopped (optional
    2 jars (14 oz each) pizza sauce
    32 egg roll wrappers
    vegetable oil for frying
    aditional pizza sauce for dipping, warmed (optional)
    In large bowl, combine cheese, sausage, pepperoni, peppers & onion. Stir in pizza sauce until combined. Place about 1/4 cup filling in center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold wrappers by package directions. In skillet, heat 1 in. of ol to 375 degrees. Fry opizza rolls for 1-2 min. on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 32 rolls. I usually only put pepperoni, cheese & the sauce in mine, but you can put anything you want in yours. They are absolutely wonderful. Taste kind of like hot pockets. Hope you enjoy them!!

25. Carol says

Woa! Looking at the break-down for the shopping trip to Wal-mart. Can you use multiple coupons on one item. You said you used three $1 coupons on a $3.28 box of cereal. I thought it was one coupon per item. Just curious because I would love to do this trick!

26. janice crews says

had a great trip to kroger..7 dawn dishwashing det. 4 downy, 8 oil of olay body washes and lotions and 8 finesse hair products for $12.38..used b1g1 plus $2.00 off the oil of olay. plus utilized their instore ad…what a great way to end the 2010

27. Heather says

Hi. Growing up we used to make taco pockets with the egg roll wrappers. Fill with meat, cheese, and taco sauce and wrap up. Then bake in the oven. There are alot you can do with them! I am going to try a few of the ideas already posted!

For the egg roll wrappers, we used it to make tex mex chicken cups!

1-2 chicken breast strips (cut into bit size pieces)
    1/2 packet of taco seasoning
    1/4-1/3 cup of ranch
    1 packet of mexican blend cheese
    1 packet of wonton wrappers

1. put each wonton wrapper into a muffin mold on the muffin pan.
    2. cook for 2-3 minutes at 350 F until it is a bit crisp but not all the way
    3. mix the taco seasoning and ranch together into a bowl.
    4. cook the chicken pieces and put it in the taco mixture.
    5. scoop each into the wonton muffin molds
    6. sprinkle with cheese and put it back into the oven until cheese melts.

29. Becky says

I haven’t read all the responses yet, so forgive me if someone else has already suggested this. I use egg roll wrappers to make Samoosas. I make ground meat (although best is ground lamb) or chicken with chiles (sans the seeds) ginger, onions, frozen peas and curry powder. Then I fold the egg wrappers to form a triangle and stuff the mixture and then fold the edges with a brush and a bit of water. Then deep fry them. They are a delish curry Indian treat! I fell in love with them in both England and South Africa when I had them and no one here in NC sells them that I know of so I just had to have some.

30. Laura says

you can make strawberry cream cheese wontons I tried baking them but that flopped frying them is much better just put a dollop of strawberry cream cheese in the middle lift the four corners and pinch then fry my kids loved them

31. melissa says

When I heard about the pajamas I went straight to walmart and luckily I did find some for my family…priced at $1.75…thanks for the heads up!