World’s Easiest Christmas Candy Recipe

We have a yearly tradition of making this Christmas Candy. It’s the easiest stuff ever to make, it is inexpensive and it’s addicting!

I originally found the recipe in the book Queen of the Castle: 52 Weeks of Encouragement for the Uninspired, Domestically Challenged or Just Plain Tired Homemaker. It was called “Crookies” in there, but we’ve re-named it “World’s Easiest Christmas Candy.”

All you need is brown sugar, saltines, butter and chocolate chips.

Lay one sleeve of Saltines out on a cookie sheet (you might want to spray or grease the pan first, though I’ve not had trouble with it sticking, but some mentioned in the comments they’d recommend this).

Melt one cup brown sugar and one stick of butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat until a gooey mixture forms. Pour this mixture over the saltines and spread around with a spatula to generously coat them.

Stick the pan in the oven on 350 degrees for around five minutes until the brown sugar mixture is bubbling on the crackers.

Pull out of the oven and pour two cups of chocolate chips over the crackers and let them sit for a few minutes until they are starting to melt.

Spread the melted chocolate chips evenly over the crackers and then stick in the freezer for around an hour (until chocolate hardens).

Once chocolate is hardened, lift off the cookie sheet with a metal spatula and break into pieces.

Put into gift baggies and store in the freezer until ready to give as gifts.

Comments

We make these too but call the kringle treats…. You can also use grahm crackers. We put walnuts and sprinkles on ours and we use regular sugar instead of brown. Next batch we make Im going to try the brown sugar and see if we like it better :)

2. Holli Litrenta says

I was just introduced to these last week. SOOOOOOO addicting! I made a batch for myself the next day and devoured it myself in about 3 or 4 days. YUM!

3. Laura says

I grew up eating this. We call it Cracker Candy. My mom used to make it at Christmastime. She is not with us anymore, but I plan to make it with my daughter when she gets big enough (she’s a year old)!

4. Deb says

I grew up in Hawaii (where the traditions are slightly different) but I never saw toffee on Saltines until I moved to the Midwest and I thought it was very bizarre at first, like a knock off to real toffee or something, now I know that EVERYONE makes it and I am the oddball! But I still think it is like “redneck” toffee. =)

5. Jennifer Wright says

We call it Christmas Crack around here because you get so addicted. My MIL made it with Cinnamon Sugar Ritz crackers and it was the best thing I’ve ever had. I may buy up all the Cinnamon Sugar Ritz I can find and make some up for work this weekend-the guys that have to work over will love it.

6. Niki says

I made a similar version once with graham crackers, brown sugar mixture and pecans on top. It’s called “Boy Bait” and my husband literally couldn’t stay away. Lol. I need to try this since I have all the ingredients!

7. Jennifer says

I am soooo glad you posted this recipe! I had it for the first time a few months ago and have thought of it repeatedly and keep forgetting to google the recipe. Printing right now! Definitely one for the “fast” recipe catagory in my recipe box.

8. michelle says

I just made this the other night! I originally saw it on Paula Dean’s show and thought it was crazy! I then saw it on balancing beauty and bedlam and had to try it! Yumm-o!!! I used parchment to line the pan (SUPER easy clean up!) and heath bar chips on top! Definately a new tradition!!!

9. Rachael says

I just made this tonight for the first time, and it was so yummy. I’m going to make another batch tomorrow, this time with a mix of peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. Thanks for the great idea! :)

10. Amy says

I’d like to try the pb version — can somebody please help me with it? Do you use pb instead of b sugar?

Also, I made something very similar some time ago — maybe the same recipe — and the saltines seemed pretty soggy. Didn’t see any other mention of this though.

Thanks and Have a Blessed Christmas!

11. Becky says

I made it for the 1st time last night.. Used graham crackers & margarine instead of butter, then sprinkled pecans on top. It tasted very good but even though I lined the pan with parchment paper it stuck very badly.. Next time I want to try it with graham crackers and marshmallows..Maybe some peanut butter chips.. I make a marshmallow peanut butter toast my kids love so I bet they will eat that too…

12. My Boaz's Ruth says

Crackers are one of my anti-nausea tools… Wonder if this would make a tastier alternative!

I’ll have to try it

Salted or unsalted butter?

• crystal says

@My Boaz’s Ruth, I used unsalted butter last night since i had sticks of that and it worked just fine. But I think somehow I overcooked it wether I let the brown sugar and butter melt to long or I baked it too long which I only did 4 min and still burnt the sugar. So had to throw half of it out because it was burnt and bitter. The other half was yummy my daughter and I loved it the boys didn’t care for it.

I made this last night, BUT I boiled the butter and brown sugar too long and it was hard to spread over the crackers…I know this seems fool proof, but I ave 3 little ones and was busy…SO…be careful not to do my mistake and let the sugar mixture be a little on the runnier side. :)

• Amy says

@mariah, I’m glad I’m not the only one who messed up the world’s easiest candy! I was trying to measure out ingredients for chex mix while the butter/brown sugar was melting and when I came back to pour out the mixture and spread it was one big glop that wouldn’t spread. Had to throw the whole thing in the trash. I really need to stop thinking I can do more than one thing at a time!

14. Alice S. says

I just made this stuff today. WOWEEE! After I cut it all up for the storage container, I finished the pan with a fork standing at the kitchen counter. How can anything this cheap and easy taste so good? I am so not a cook, but I am really proud of myself! This tastes like I know what I’m doing! Thanks so much. Merry Christmas.

15. Lisa V says

Ok, I don’t have any room in my freezer so could I put them in the refrigerator? Don’t know if that would work? Any ideas? Thanks and Merry Christmas.

• Jennifer B. says

@Lisa V, We have always used the refrigerator and never the freezer for this recipe.

Also, we’ve always called it Saltine Toffee.

• Laura says

@Jennifer B.,
        I put it on foil (sprayed) on my baking sheet. Once it was done baking, I slipped the foil off the baking sheet and onto a cutting board and popped that in my freezer. It worked perfecto! My 2 cookie sheets I have were also way too big for my freezer (could not close the door!). =)

16. Amy W says

oh and make sure you butter the foil.
    It is nearly impossible to pull out little bits of foil once it is hardened. Not so fun to bite into it either!

17. Karen McDowell says

My friends and I call this candy “crack” it’s so addicting! I’ve been making it for years and it’s one of my most requested recipes!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe, Crystal! I made it today for the first time and it turned out great!!! It was super easy for me and my 5-year-old to make together as a treat for his great-grandparents. Merry Christmas!!!

19. Becky says

One of my closest friends has made this for me at Christmas for years! She calls it Bark. Not sure of the reason…maybe it looks like tree bark?

20. tonya says

I have made this for the last 3 years–this year it turned out gooey unless I keep it refrigerated–is that normal? It was hard the last two years. Thoughts?

I also was told to foil line and then parchment line the pan–forgot the parchment and what a pain to peel the foil off.
    Mine tastes great, but I don’t like the texture at all.

21. Laurie Gibbs says

I made that with graham crackers instead of Saltines this year. I can’t recall the title of the recipe. Yum! The closest thing I get to “toffee”!