Frugal & Meaningful Christmas Gift: The Question Jar

Want to give meaningful gifts for Christmas but you have no money to spare? I love the idea of making Question Jars!

Pam from Keeping Life Creative shows you how to make them and provides free printables you can download to make it really simple to pull off this creative gift!

Comments

1. Kelly says

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I now know what I’m going to do for my daughters teachers and a couple other ‘family’ gifts. This is excellent!

2. Gwen says

This is a great gift. I am making at least one although this is an appropriate gift for almost anyone on your list. Thanks for posting.

This is a great idea. I did something similar for my grandmother, who lives a day away, in a rest home, and we don’t get to visit often. I put together notes from my children, sweet quotes about grandmothers, little notes from me, etc. I put these notes on strips of paper, curled the paper strips with scissors and put them all in a mason jar. She can pull out that jar and read love notes from us until we get to visit her again.

@Pam @ Keeping Life Creative,
        Thanks for the sweet comments, Susan and Pam. My Grandpa just died this year as well, and since he was my Grandma’s caregiver (they were 90 and 89 yrs.), and since all of the family lives more than 5 hours away and she didn’t want to leave her hometown, she decided to move to a rest home there. She can’t have many belonging in her room, so it’s tricky coming up with meaningful, useful gifts that she can enjoy over a long period of time. I’m in the process of collecting photos to make her a wall quilt as well. :)

I have something very similar to this that I call my Journal Jar. I have a goal of writing in my journal each night and usually I have plenty to say, but every once and a while I can’t think of anything to write. I pull out my Journal Jar and answer the question. The questions cover current favorites, goals/dreams, or memories.

This jar also came in handy when I was dating my husband. I was sick and unable to go out and do much, so we would sit in my living room and answer the questions. I learned a lot about the man I was planning on marrying.

• shawn'l says

@Sharee, I made one each for my parents and in laws and gave them journals with it. The intent was for them to record their “story” for the grandkids with the questions as a starting point.

5. Tori Easton says

This is awesome! I am going to totally make it for a party that we are going to this weekend!

I saw this earlier on here today and decided to make one when I got home for our Sunday School teacher and family…turned out really great! What a neat idea!

7. heather says

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    My husband’s birthday is the 15th of this month. Money is super tight, like many families and I was searching for a meaningful gift for him.
    We’re doing homemade jam for family and friends, I have plenty of jars of so many sizes and shapes!!

Thank you for doing the starter questions!! You’re wonderful for sharing this with us.

8. Rae says

I think this is cool as well. I would *really* love instructions on that felt flower though! I think it is awesome and would like to make it for headbands, jars like shown, purses, etc. :D

9. Heather T. says

I just printed off two copies, and will probably do more, have to have at least one for my house, this is a great idea, our familes decided to not draw names and exchange gifts this year, I suggested things made by hand and this proves how easy it is to come up with something! Thanks for the awsome idea;}

10. Sarah says

The simplicity of this gift is perfect. Made me cry a little, knowing that my daughters will never know one of their grandfathers, but I will make a question jar for them to ask their remaining grandparents whenever they want. What a brilliant way for them just to sit and talk!

I also forwarded it to my best friend that is dating!