Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Unprocessed Powdered Sugar

Now this is brilliant! Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers shares how to make your own homemade unprocessed powdered sugar using sucanat and a blender.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

Link is fixed! Great idea if you’re a more natural eater and prefer less refined food. Sucanat is pricey though (and we order it through a discount on amazon with as many discounts as we can get) so it’s not necessarily a frugal option =)

I get mine through a Bulk Foods Store and it’s actually fairly inexpensive. Not as cheap as regular sugar, but definitely less expensive than buying it at the health food store.

I’ve found that if I pay more for sweeteners, I use them more sparingly — which can be a good thing! :)

2. Lacey says

“Real” powdered sugar has corn starch in it, too…not just ground sugar. This should be taken into consideration for use in recipes, as the corn starch makes a big difference in a lot of foods!

• Lori F. says

@Lacey,
      Lacey, I was thinking the same thing. The cornstarch is actually needed in some recipes, though not in others. I make a sugar cookie recipe that uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar and the cornstarch is needed to keep the dough tender and workable.

We are going through Laura’s snack recipes right now and they are so good. I am constantly substituting ground wheat and sucanat in “regular” recipes with very poor results. Finding her site was a huge blessing for us because my husband is now eating the “wheat” foods too. They actually taste good. He has request a couple be made for Christmas treats for his co-workers!

4. Angela says

I think this is brilliant as well. And I spend much less on sugar I think by buying the healthier sweeteners and then just eating much less of it.