Super Savings Saturday: Starting up P90X again

I finished my first round of P90X a few weeks ago and took two weeks almost entirely off from exercising or worrying too much about eating wonderfully. I didn’t subsist on hot dogs and candy bars by any stretch of the imagination, but I did eat more chocolate and even allowed myself to have a few cups of coffee (I went completely off of caffeine while on P90X, I know, can you believe it??).

And it was nice to take a break. But I am so ready to jump back on the P90X bandwagon come Monday morning. I seriously considered doing the P90X Plus program, but I think that I can push myself a little more and benefit a lot from another round of P90X, so that’s what I decided to go for.

We loaded up on good food today in preparation for getting back on the P90X diet. Since life has been full with some extra things recently, I didn’t used coupons the last two weeks. I planned a menu, make a list and looked at the store fliers while doing so, but I didn’t worry about getting the lowest rock-bottom deals. I just gave myself a breather week — and it felt nice!

However, when we came home with these groceries and paid $80 for them I was reminded why we use coupons, stockpile and shop the sales:

Because $80 with coupons, stockpiling and shopping the sales, could net quite a bit more groceries than that. But it’s nice to take a break every now and then!

However, just like I’m jumping back on the P90X bandwagon come Monday, I’m also getting back on the bargain-hunting bandwagon, too. Because I really don’t like paying full price if I can help it. :)

Stay tuned on Monday for our P90X Menu Plan for this upcoming week and the first installment of the Time Management 101 series.

_____________

Did you snag any great deals or bargains this week or save money in other ways? If so, be sure to post about them on your blog and leave your link below. Please remember that this weekly round-up is to share deals you personally got and/or money you were able to save this week. In order to keep this weekly round-up focused on helping and inspiring others in their efforts to save money, links which have little-to-no content other than promoting affiliate links, etc. will be deleted. Also, to make it easy for everyone to navigate quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super Savings Saturday post.

Comments

Thanks for the place to link up, Crystal! I accidentally just put the link to my Rite Aid deal before my super savings post – feel free to delete the first link – sorry!

I’m glad you give yourself breaks Crystal. I admire you a lot and it makes me feel better that I take breaks knowing that I am not the only one.
    Blessings!

Rachel

We are doing Insanity…another Beachbody workout. It’s been wonderful, and the children love to get out there and workout with us! If you ever need to “switch it up,” that’s our favorite and workouts run from 30 minutes to an hour! Occasionally a little longer if you throw in abs. Really. I am in the best shape I’ve been in, and that’s after I’ve had four children. I just love it.

I’m also very thankful to see that you take breaks and are “normal” just like the rest of us. :-) Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
    Laura

4. Melissa P says

Thanks for the inspiration! I needed a little push to get motivated to get moving. I am also doing Insanity. Starting tomorrow! :) Thanks again.

I bet it felt good to take a break with the conference you went to also.

I remember when I first starting couponing and I was totally amazed at what I brought home compared to what I had been bringing home. We are all some much more satisfied with the choices also.
    vickie

I just couldn’t bring myself to deal with my coupons this week either! So I headed to Aldi where you can get sale prices everyday and was very happy with being able to let go of any guilt that tried to creep in. Coupons are a tool, they should never control you!

Can’t wait to read you Time Management Series!

I just wrapped up the 30 Day Shred Challenge and am taking a week next week and then picking back up on P90X the following week. It will be round 4 for me. I find that it is still a great workout, even after a few rounds. I tend to take a bread between each round – this break was my longest, because I decided to do the 30 Day Shred. I will be interested in seeing your menu plan. I tend to not follow their plan, actually, I’m looking to get back on the weight watchers band wagon as well – only I’m not waiting a week for that one!

Good luck on Round 2!

8. jaime says

I’m starting the 30 day shred tomorrow, and am excited to see your P90X menu plan. I’ve been trying to simplify our meals, and want to make them a lot healthier too! You’ve been such an inspiration to me-thanks!

9. carrie says

I love posts like these that give a good example of finding a balance between living frugally and giving yourself some grace.

Sometime, I would love to read a little more about how you managed fitting P90X into your days. I’m nervous to get into it, even though I’ve heard so many good things about it, because I’ve also heard it can take up to 1 1/2 hours a day! I also have a few friends that have fallen off the bandwagon with it, so it would be so great to hear how you stuck with it, and what helped to keep your motivation up.

10. issybissy says

i havent been on msm for a while, but today i saw that you have been doing p90x…we did that for a bit, then switched it up to insanity…that coupled with nursing, i have lost 60 pounds in 7.5 months! i am in great shape now, and have stopped working out completely… i just watch what i eat and continue to nurse my daughter.
    i want to wish you luck, and let you know that insanity is def a better workout program, and quickly delivers…its is def more intense, but just do as well as you can and then you will push yourself further than ytou’ve ever thought you could go!
    and yes, my son (3.5) would do downward dog with us, all the stretches, and loves to kick and punch! lol

Agree with the need for breaks in life from the usual routine – sometimes, we moms need to give ourselves permission to just get the basics done without trying to overachieve in every category every week. (Especially if you tend to be a bit typeA like me!}

And whenever I take a mini-couponing break for a week or so, it’s not only nice to shop simply but seeing that total at the register does help to inspire me to jump right back into deal finding and stockpiling.

Best!

12. issybissy says

btw, i followed the insanity meal plan, meaning i ate a lot of dairy, soy proteins, eggs, and nuts, in addition to toast and some rice…
    i stopped because i FINALLY did a blood allergy food test for my daughter, and she was always super red and itchy because come toknow she is ALLERGIC to SOY< EGGS<DAIRY< and NUTS!
    so i guess insanity,although a great workout….the diet plan wasnt for me :(

I’ve been lax with my coupon use lately too. I’ve used them, just not like I usually do. It’s nice to take a break every now and then. I tend to take a coupon break when I’m super busy or using coupons becomes just not as fun.

14. Beth says

This post was just the cognitive redirection I needed to hear. After yesterday’s shopping trip, I told my husband I was really failing at everything- but truely this isn’t so.

A number of various things have collided recently that reduced my number of coupons on hand- I tried and failed at the “no clip” method, our newspaper didn’t come with coupons one week, and I’ve been beyond busy and have probably missed some printable ones. Then, the sales this week at Kroger didn’t match up well with what we needed, but we couldn’t just skip a week, and so I just went to the store, bought mostly on sale, or the sale brand. I ended up spending about 50 dollars for 3 of us, and only saving about 20% (though they don’t calculate the savings of buying the store brand instead of the national brand).

So, we spent double what we usually do, but it allowed me to accomplish things I don’t ordinarily get done. With your words of wisdom, I am now appreciating this fact!

• Wendy says

@Beth,
      Don’t feel bad. $50 to feed 3 people for a week sounds great to me. Even with coupons, buying store brands and stock piling when I can, I still end up spending at least $100 a week for the 4 of us. Of course I have to keep reminding myself of how much I’d be spending if I did not do the above mentioned activites.

Hey guys! For anyone else who may be interested in P90X and what it can do for you (in additon to other fitness programs and Shakeology, my own personal favorite nutritional boost) please go to my website! I am a Beachbody Coach who can give you all the information you need to jump start your way into a healthier lifestyle! Have a wonderful day!

Can I ask why you stopped drinking coffee during P90X?

To the best of my knowledge, moderate amounts of coffee are healthful (anti-oxidants) and caffeine is generally beneficial to a tough workout (with plenty of water too of course!).

They strongly recommend that you don’t drink caffeinated beverages as part of the program as it is not good to drink when doing intense workouts (most athletes avoid caffeine). I actually only drink coffee on occasion, so it wasn’t that big of a think for me to give up. However, giving up my morning cup of tea was much harder for me. But I switched to herbal tea and I’ve survived. :)

17. Lynda Ruiz says

I have not been able to print as many coupons as before because, somehow, with ur new Epson printer they are printing very tiny and instead of 3 up on a page it is 1 1/2. That is from ‘bricks’ coupons. I was able to snag some cheap cereal at Kroger this week and felt I needed to sneak it in the house as my 17 y.o. DD thinks I am nuts and a hoarder – except of course when it’s 10 PM and she realizes she is out of shampoo, or deodorant or….

18. Jennifer says

I love P90X! I did two rounds, then a round of Insanity, and am now doing a P90X/Insanity/One on One/whatever I want (hiking, running, spinning) hybrid. I never get bored, that’s for sure! If you want more of Tony, but something different from P90X, I highly recommend his One on One series. He has some great, much different workouts, but it’s still Tony being Tony. I love that guy, he’s so inspiring!

From your pictures, it looks like you do not really need an intense workout and diet. Studies have actually shown that exercise is good for you, but not so much the intense workouts. Are you just trying to eat healthier ?

I’m definitely not doing it P90X to lose weight, but just to be strong and healthy and energetic! I find that I feel so great when I get a good workout in 5-6 days a week!

20. Jacqueline says

I would love to see the menu plan, and copy it !!
    I have a hard time planning meals ahead of time, and usually end up grabbing something unhealthy.

I’ll correct my diet first, then try P90X…I know I wouldn’t be able to do two minutes of that lol

21. Corin Hogan says

Just like another poster earlier said, I am a beach body coach as well. My husband and I are starting p90x again tomorrow. I am down 46lbs and have another 19 to go. Just like you I will need to find a balance in coupons and my meal plans. Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing your progress. If you need anything feel free to contact me.
    Corin

22. Cori says

When do you do P90x…before kids wake up, during naps, after dinner? I just can’t imagine finding time to fit that into my day without child care involved. How do you do it?

Kind of personal, but did you lose any weight or drop any sizes. You never looked overweight, but just curious :)

I usually get up 2-3 hours before most of my children do and this gives me time to read my bible, work on the computer, exercise and (sometimes!) get in a shower before they wake up.

I love that you give other blogs the opportunity to link up on yours; how cool! I truly enjoy clicking on them and checking out everyone’s websites. Thanks!

24. Amy says

Tell me about it! My husband and I are pregnant with #2, due in May and it’s all I can do to even get to the grocery store, let alone worry about the couponing. I hate spending more money, but I just don’t have the energy right now!

25. Jay says

I am definitely going to have to learn to bargain shop like you. I am finding eating healthier on tends to cost a bit more. I’m on my 2nd round of p90x myself lost 40 pounds in the first round hoping to drop at least another 20 pounds this round. This is a great blog!!!