Super Savings Saturday: 31 tubes of toothpaste and my first ever video blog

So, I’m stepping way out on a limb and posting a video blog of my shopping trip last night. Please bear with me, as it is completely obvious from the video that I have no idea how to do a video blog.You also might brace yourself for impending sea sickness as I’m holding the camera, showing you my groceries and talking with my hands at the same time. :)

Enjoy! Oh and excuse the mistake of me saying the bananas were $0.29 each. I meant $0.29 per pound!

This shopping trip is a great example of how I practice the Buy Ahead Principle. Stocking up on 31 free tubes of toothpaste might seem excessive, but considering we go through 1-2 tubes per month and the toothpaste deals have been sparse recently, I went ahead and used all my coupons. That way, if there’s not another deal on toothpaste for 18 months, we’re in good shape.

Wondering where I got 31 toothpaste coupons from? Check out my article on 10 Ways to Get Coupons for Free.

Big thanks to Erin from $5 Dinners for the foil pan deal tip, Mary from The Deal Detector for the Crayon deal tip and to my sister for going shopping with me and making it much more fun than if I’d gone by myself.

_______________________
Did you snag any great deals or bargains this week or save money in other ways? If so, be sure to post about them on your blog and leave your link below. Please remember that this weekly round-up is to share deals you personally got and/or money you were able to save this week. In order to keep this weekly round-up focused on helping and inspiring others in their efforts to save money, links which have little-to-no content other than promoting affiliate links, etc. will be deleted. Also, to make it easy for everyone to navigate quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super Savings Saturday post.

Comments

1. Emily says

I’m going to donate the extra crayons I got to my daughter’s kindergarten class when she starts next month. Teachers spend a lot of money out of their own pocket on supplies for their classrooms, so I picked up a few extra crayons, markers, and glue sticks to give to her classroom. I, however, had no luck at my Kroger getting them with the catalina, as they were completely sold out. I found them at Meijer for the same price, but with no catalina. At least Kroger gave me a raincheck, so maybe they’ll get more in before the back to school catalina deal is over. Anyone know when it runs through?

• RuthS says

@Tammy, That’s what I was thinking too, LOL. We go through about 2 tubes every 6-8 months, and hubby will only use the toothpaste from the health food store, so 31 tubes would last me at least 15 years :D

I guess you could say we go a bit overboard on the teeth-brushing and maybe that’s why we go through so many tubes of toothpaste! The good news, though, is that no one has had a single cavity in our home since we’ve been married — so maybe going through the extra toothpaste is actually accomplishing something?? :)

• Allison says

@Crystal, Not having to pay those dental bills would definitely save you money, so if it takes a zillion free tubes of toothpaste, go for it!

• chris says

@Tammy, I thought the same thing. I figure about 1 tube per person per year and one extra for DH who tend to use more. We are cavity free too.

I need to track our toothpaste usage more carefully, but I know that we go through at least 10-12 tubes per year. And we also give it away often — which is why I’m not exactly sure how much our family uses. I just know it’s definitely more than one tube per person per year! Goodness, you guys must not use much toothpaste at all. :)

2. Laura says

Good job on the video blog. I really enjoyed it. And good job on the toothpaste deals.

3. Sheila Johnson says

You sound so cute on the video, it was fun to hear your voice. We don’t have double coupons here, so we never do as well, but you had a great shopping trip. What a score on the toothpaste!

LOVE the vlog!! Thank you for posting it, even in its imperfections. God doesn’t call us to be perfect, He calls us to let Him work through us, and you’re doing an awesome job.

LOVED hearing your voice! I feel like you are a “real” friend of mine….so it is nice to hear you! I stocked up on free toothpaste last summer, and still have about 3 months worth! Love stocking up:)

6. Rose says

Can anyone tell me if you have to buy all 10 items for the mega event in one transaction?

I accidently grabbed a toothpaste that wasn’t included, so I didn’t get the $5 off… boo..

7. zina says

I loved hearing your voice! Not what I had imagined.. hehe. Next time we need to see you in the video too! Great job on the toothpaste!

People usually are very surprised to find out I have three children. I guess I look and sound young — which I’m hoping is a good thing. :)

@Crystal,
        My sister is the same way! She is 32 and looks and sounds like she is only 20 (at most)! She has a 9 year old and a 7 year old and one time someone told her daughter to give something to her ‘big sister’! My niece about freaked…”That is my MOM, not my sister!”!! :) When you are 40 and look 25 you will LOVE looking young….!!!!
        Heather

• gwen says

@Heather,
          I am in my 30’s and pettite (4’11) and nobody believe my age but it has it’s cons. Sometimes is very dificult for people to treat you seriously and with respect. Trying to get your point around most in work and even family.

8. Laura says

This was great! I loved hearing all the deals explained, and it was great to put a voice with the writing! I hope you’ll vlog again!

9. Rae says

I agree on the voice sounding different lol. You do sound soooo young (I do too so that’s not me putting you down at all) :O) And you were not too shaky. Thanks for sharing.

10. Lindsey says

Crystal, great vlog! I love it!! And just to let you know, I clipped all of my Crest coupons and I have 52!!!! I think I’m even missing my 7/4 inserts, I think they are in my car which is in the shop. I hope to stock myself along with some friends, family, and the shelter with all of those!!

11. Jessica says

Crystal,

Just wanted to tell you that I LOVE visiting your site everyday and reading about all the great deals you have to tell us about. Also, I loved the idea of the video blog… you did great… such a sweet voice and great video!! I definitely hope to see more videos on your site in the future! :)

Also, meant to put a comment before when you posted pics of yourall’s new house (but unfortunately I didn’t at the time)… Congratulations on the new house… it is beautiful! :)

You’re an inspiration to all of us; keep up the great work!!

12. Sandy says

+*+*+* I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the crest coupons you used are for the premium crest toothpaste, not for the ones you bought. :( On the coupon is specifically excludes the ones you bought.
    I know your blog is to help and teach others, and I would hate for your readers to think it is ok to use the coupons in this manner.

Actually, I had three different kinds of coupons — one excluded the lower-priced Crest, but the 31 coupons I had did not exclude any Crest (believe me, I checked very thoroughly!). They were good on any Crest paste 4 oz. or larger. I’m very much a stickler about only using coupons in the manner they are intended which is why I checked and re-checked these coupons before using them and didn’t use the 10 coupons I had for the premium-only Crest.

Thanks for helping us all strive to be ethical couponers!

13. Liza says

Thank you so much for sharing… Like most, I am very impressed on your deals.. and for people who are more visual than others, this was a great incentive to do more “couponing”…. :)

Wonderful job on your first vlog, Crystal! You are much braver than I am, as I haven’t been able to convince myself to do one yet.

I had to smile at all the toothpaste. It was one of the first things I learned from your site–you should almost never have to pay for toothpaste. That was back in the day when CVS was doing countless money-makers on it. Glad to see you found another good deal recently!

15. connie says

Crystal, Good Job on your first video blog post! So fun! I still cannot believe you had 31 coupons however yeah for the stockpile of toothpaste :) ~C

16. Hannah says

I’m waiting for the video to load, but while waiting I’m wondering how you go through 1 to 2 tubes of toothpaste per month? We have about the same size family, just one more adult since my brother lives with us, but we go through no more a than a tube every two or three months! Maybe we’re not brushing our teeth enough! :)

Well, I think we’re serial toothbrushers here or something — I often brush my teeth 4 to 6 times per day. And I guess it’s paid off since no one here has had a cavity since we’ve been married. :)

• gwen says

@Hannah,

My husband alone “eats” one tube in less then a month! We are suppose to brush our teeth every time you eat that’s 3 times a day. so yes it can be done.

17. lacey says

I loved your video! I so encourage you to show your beautiful face next time. Make your husband hold the camera. I am sure so many others would love to get to see you explain what you got. This video is a great feature. I would love to see a video weekly. What a great job! Maybe one week you could get one of your little ones to try and explain the shopping trip. It would be just for fun of course. My 4 1/2 year old would sure say some funny stuff when it comes to her explanations. When I started couponing, she just thought we could get a coupon for said item and get it FREE. If she wanted something, she would tell me to just get a coupon and we could get it for FREE.

Thanks for the “plug” Crystal! :) Just a heads up on the Crayon deal, especially at Dillons stores — if the tag on the crayons does not say “with card”, you will more-than-likely not get the catalina. 2/3 of my local stores do not say “with card” and the cat does not print. At those stores the cat is calculated using the $.25 price.

The cat deal is: Spend $20 (pre-card price), get $4 cat. Spend $10, get $2 cat.

19. Jessica says

Thank you Crystal! I read your blog everyday and the video blog really lets your readers know the voice behind the writing! Keep going with them! Your husband has some good ideas with advancing with your blog!! God Bless.

We have 3 children and we do lots of teeth-brushing here! But we’ll likely take 2 to 3 years to go through all the toothpaste (but we’ll probably share some with others ch, too, as I love to bless others with some of our extras when I have a chance!).

20. Rochelle says

Love the vlog!!! Thanks for posting this on Friday. I totally missed the the toothpaste deal and had time to get in on that deal before it was too late. Also Kraft has been giving a $5 catalina for purchasing 5 kraft cheeses…making them free. I am stocked up with 20 packages of free cheese. Make sure to only puchase 5 cheeses per each mega 10 deal. If you purchase 10 cheeses in the same transaction you will NOT get 2 catalinas.

21. Cynthia Crowell says

Great vlog – so fun to hear your voice!!

I have a question about doubling the coupons, our Kroger will only double 3 coupons for the same item. So to get 31 tubes of toothpaste, I would have to do multiple transactions and that many seems impossible with my 3 kiddos tagging along. How do you do that??? Does your store allow for more doubles in one transaction or do you do lots of transactions?

Thanks!!

• Amber says

@Crystal, Wow, here in Western Washington, NO stores double coupons! I’m hoping my husband wants to pursue his Ph.D somewhere in the Midwest so I can get these great deals too!

Wow! Loved the video–great job! And it is nice to hear what your voice actually sounds like in real life. :0)

23. Leighanne Johnson says

Thanks for posting this! I like the video blog idea. I think I can understand how you did things when you personally explain it. It made me think, “Okay, THAT’s how she did it!”

24. Megan says

I bought a lot of the same items on my trip, but I may have to go back for crayons. Great job on the vlog!