Staples: Free backpacks next week (after 100% Staples Gift Card Easy Rebate)!

Woohoo! It’s official! There have been rumors circulating the internet that Staples was going to have free-after-rebate backpacks next week, but it was finally confirmed in the ad preview here (click on Upcoming Weekly Ad for the details).

You can buy any backpack and get 100% back on a Staples Gift Card after easy rebate. If you were planning to buy a backpack and have some other things you need to buy at Staples in the next few months, this is a great way to get more mileage for your money!

I’ll post the full list of Staples deals on Saturday, but I just wanted to give you the head’s up in case you were planning to buy a backpack elsewhere in the next two days.

Thanks, Chi-Town Cheapskate!

Comments

1. Amy says

How about those of you who don’t need a new backpack skip this deal so those of us who do need it can get one? My 8th grader has been carrying the same backpack since 2nd grade and I told him he could get a new one this year. My 5th grader needs one too! But I bet all of them will be gone by the time church is over on Sunday!

• Rae says

@Amy, They won’t be gone because it’s not a specific type it is any backpack. They did this last year and had tons. And their backpacks are pretty expensive upfront so a lot of people weren’t buying unless they really needed it unlike the under $1 sales that people have a hard time passing up. :)

• diana says

@Amy,
      You can always hit goodwill or something for a decent cheap backpack if you need. Can’t blame anyone for wanting a free backpack… always can find a use for it!

• Laura says

I just personally refuse to shop on Sun. I don’t look at the ads or clip coupons, NOTHING! I work hard at saving and earning money all week and I really need my Sabbath. So, yes, I do miss out on a few deals, but God knows my needs and honors my attempt to keep the Sabbath holy.

So, just to encourage you to not worry about not running out right after church. Enjoy your family on Sunday!

2. Heather says

I don’t usually go to Staples as it is 25 minutes from my house. So if I wait until Monday to go are they all going to be gone? What is their selection like? Do they have stuff a 5 and 7 year old girl would want?

• Rae says

@Heather, I went last year and since it is all of the backpacks, there will still be some Monday. The only thing is, you might have a hard time finding one small/light enough for your little one. Most of them are big (perfect for middle school, high school, and college). They did have a few smaller plain ones and a few character (last year they had Camp Rock, Hulk, and Hannah Montana I think) but not many.

3. JODI says

It’s free after Staples card rebate. So it’s not quite free after rebate, you still have to spend money at staples. But it worth it for me. I spend WAY to much money at stapples

4. Ryan says

The rebate is in the form of a Staples gift card, so you don’t really get your money back. Essentially, however much you spend on the backpack, you’ll get that much in other items from Staples free with your card. If you were planning to spend that much at Staples in a few months (when the rebate arrives), maybe it’s worth it.

5. Pamela says

I just bought 2 backpacks at Walgreens yesterday for my 5 years old son who will be going to Kindergarten this fall – They are having Buy One Get One Free for this week and again next week too. So he will have 1 for K and another one for 1st Grade next year. Hope this help. :-)

6. Janet says

Sorry to be a party pooper but if you look at the ad it states “It’s like getting a free backpack. Buy any backpack and get 100% back in a Staples Gift Card after easy rebate.” I take that to mean that (as an example) I would buy a $50 backpack then get a $50 gift card for Staples merchandise NOT $50 to spend of my own choosing, which in my mind would be a free backpack.

Correct me if I am wrong but this looks like it would only be advantageous if I planned on buying a $50 backpack and $50 in Staples merchandise (to use the monetary example above). That way the backpack would indeed be free because I would be spending $50 instead of $100 on the backpack and merchandise.

Yes, see the details I posted in the post. For most, they probably need to buy printer ink or something, so it’s essentially like getting it free. But for some, that might not necessarily be the case.

Hope that helps!

7. Rae says

I know what I am spending my staples rewards on (from the free after rewards Duracell batteries) that expire 7/31 :) Then I’ll roll this giftcard when they have another free after rebate (or rewards) item.

• Laura says

Do you get the gift card right away? I just assumed they’d mail it to you and you’d get it only after you entirely forgot about it. (Or am I the only one who does that?!)

• Rae says

@Laura, Their rebates usually come in about 1 month to 1 1/2 months. Even if you had forgotten about it, you’d be reminded (and surprised lol) when you got it :D

• Sara says

Staples doesn’t let you “roll” their rewards like you can at CVS. I found this out the hard way, but called in to complain and they sent me the rewards. I would be sure to read all the fine print on thier website regarding the rewards program first.

• Rae says

@Rae, @Sara, I don’t think you can pay for something in rewards and earn rewards back but this year the backpack deal is easy rebate (in the form of a giftcard) not rewards. A couple weeks ago I bought 2 reams of paper and some of the $.01 folders and pencils, used a $10 rewards coupon and paid $.11 cash. The rebate for the paper ($9.96) just processed and check is on the way. :)

8. Karen says

Last year I ordered mine online. You could order it before church or if you don’t live near a Staples store. I am not sure what shipping is.

9. Kendra says

I did this deal last year for my second grader. The backpack we got was really good quality, and shows no sign of wear, so he will be using it again this year. I had no trouble using the gift card for other merchandise at Staples. It was definitely worth it to me.

10. jennifer says

I don’t know if this will apply or not, but on the ad last week or the week before from Staples they had advertised some paper that was “1cent after easy rebate in the form of a visa check card” or something to that effect. When processing my “easy rebate” online, I was given a choice between the visa card, a check from staples, or a staples gift card, even though only the visa card was mentioned in the ad.

11. ayesha says

i think its easy rebate not the staple rewards card….i did once easy rebate online and there is choice between check,visa card and i think rewards card also….and i chose check…

I did this last year. It worked out well because I got a new bag to carry to work and then got my rewards in time for Black Friday. I used the rewards to buy a portable hard drive for my Dad’s present (online- I refuse to actually go to a store that day). So, not exactly free, but a good money stretcher.

Oh, and for those who asked I waited until the last Saturday of the sale and there were still a lot left, but no small ones for kids.

13. Lora says

Like Karen, I ordered one online last year. I live near three Staples stores, and I found a much better selection online than in any of them.

14. Danielle says

Thanks, my daughter needs a backpack for kindergarten! I buy and recycle our ink there, so I have some rewards I can use on this and I’ll use what I get back to buy more ink!

15. michelle says

Several questions..
    1. Does Staples accept competitor coupons?
    2. Can I use the OfficeMax 15/50 coupon towards the purchase of a backpack?
    3. If I do manage to use the coupon, would it still qualify for the rebate?

Both of my sons are in serious need of backpacks, this sure would help.
    Thanks

• sj says

@Michelle,
      No, limit one per household. If you have another address, buy them separately and submit each with a different address.

16. Erin says

Thank you so much for posting this! I spent $47 at Staples yesterday and I’m getting $39 back in rebates – that’s 84% savings, so I got all that stuff (including a backpack) for essentially $7.50. Best part is it went to charity for kids who need back to school stuff :)