I want the high-value freebies and coupons from Facebook, but I don’t want a Facebook account

If you don’t have a Facebook account and you’ve been feeling left out on all the great Facebook freebies and coupons which have been coming down the pipe, I’d encourage you to read For the Momma’s article on how to set up a Facebook account that you can use to sign up for the Facebook freebies and coupons, without compromising your privacy.

Comments

1. Sandy says

Use your first and middle name or a combination of your childrens’ names. No one will find you and you can then have access to the great q’s!

2. LoveToShop says

I have a facebook account that is a parody on my name, with my junkemail attached and NO information showing whatsoever. I also have the private settings enabled to the fullest and only gave the absolute barebones info when signing up(only what was required). The coupons and offers are too good to pass up, but I needed privacy while I was at it.

• wifeeonline says

@LoveToShop, I did the same. In fact was just telling a friend the other day about it. As I have converted her to the crazy coupon world.

3. Dawn says

Facebook also has a ton of privacy safeguards – you just have to make sure they’re turned on.

4. cheryl says

thank you for this article. I was home over the weekend visiting some HS friends & we had a discussion about this. Not only do I want a separate acct to protect my privacy, I don’t want to junk up my wall with all the stuff …. I discovered no one likes that

5. Allison says

If you only want to sign up for freebies, then don’t even bother with your personal info or a picture or anything. You could even use a different name…for example, my freebies & deals email is couponalli@etc. I could make a FB account for Coupon Alli. If you’re not worried about social networking then you don’t need to put any other info.

And if you do want to be social, set all your privacy settings to “Friends Only.” I don’t have any friends on FB that I don’t know in real life, so of course they can see pics of my kids or have my phone number or know if I’m going out of town. Nobody else can that stuff.

6. Jennifer says

I set up a fake Facebook profile months ago just to sign up for freebies. I’m linked to no one and have entered no personal info whatsoever. Just a fake name and email addy. Works like a charm.

I’m pretty sure that you can get banned from Facebook for having a fake account. I might be wrong, but I’d check their fineprint carefully on that.

@Kim, Yes, you can, but they don’t really do anything about it unless someone specifically reports your faux account. So I don’t think there’s too much to worry about as long as you aren’t using it to harass other people. I was the victim of a facebook stalker who set up multiple fake profiles then bombarded me with horrific crap with each of them. They were only deactivated after I reported each of them separately, and the woman who set them all up (and I could prove it) is still on facebook, so they rarely kick real people off even for breaking their rules. Just FYI :)

@Kim, I’ve found from personal experience with a facebook stalker that facebook only shuts down fake profiles when someone specifically reports them. While I don’t advocate breaking the rules, as long as you’re not using the fake profile account to harass anyone, there isn’t a lot of likelihood of getting in any trouble. The woman who stalked me for months with many different fake profiles that I reported is still on facebook, even though I could prove that she was behind them all. My point being that they rarely kick anyone off let alone chastise users in any other way.

7. Trish says

My kids have had Facebook for a year now. They had to give us their passwords. I kept getting on theirs to keep up with family and friends and I really enjoyed it. I got my own last month and I love it. We live so far from family that this is a easy way to keep up especially with pictures. You can set your privacy settings. I would not let my children have one if it was not for the privacy settings.

8. alyssa says

Here’s a tip to get rid of posts that keep coming after you “like” a site or product: Go to Edit Friends under your Account, then click on All Connections. You can then X any that you don’t want to see anymore! So glad I found that out! I’ve heard some people get a separate FB account just for “junk”, but this way you can get rid of stuff you don’t want and keep it simple with one account. Hope that helps someone! :)

9. April Taylor says

Thank you so much for this article…I’ve been missing out on deals, but really didn’t want a facebook page b/c its just another thing to keep up with!

Thanks!!!

10. Maggie says

I specifically avoid most of the Facebook coupons because to me, Facebook is for communicating with real friends.

What about Twitter? I don’t have a Twitter acct. but I have noticed they are starting to offer some the coupons there too. Would we miss out on great deals (like on Facebook) if we don’t have a Twitter account?

12. Danika says

Facebook won’t let you use a “fake” sounding name (like Coupon Lady or something), but if you use a shortened or unusual spelling of your name, it will allow you. I have a “fake name” account for my coupon stuff and a real facebook account to keep up with friends/family. That way my news feed doesn’t get clogged up with company’s stuff and my friends don’t wonder why I “like” some of the strange freebie stuff! :)