The KMart $10/20 is Not Fraudulent, But Don’t Bother Trying to Use It

Unfortunately, the wonderful $10/$20 KMart coupon I posted about on Thursday has turned into a fiasco. I’m so sorry!

Many of you have been frustrated to plan your shopping trip, drive to your store, fill your cart, and go through the checkout line only to be told that the coupon is fraudulent. Some of you have even been treated rudely by store cashiers and managers for attempting to use a coupon which was hosted on their company’s website.

I wanted to set the record straight on the whole “fraudulent coupon” thing since people keep getting accused of this by KMart employees.

Here are the facts:

::KMart released the coupon as a PDF.

::KMart put the coupon on their website.

::KMart made it readily available to be printed as many times as a person wanted.

::KMart stated on the coupon that it was valid everywhere.

Based upon these facts, it is clear the $10/$20 KMart coupon is not fraudulent.

A fraudulent coupon is a fake coupon–something created illegally by a person to look like a real coupon. A truly fraudulent coupon would never be hosted on a company’s website. It would be hosted on a non-company website or sent around the internet via email or distributed through some other unethical means.

I am very, very careful to only post PDF coupons on this blog which I believe 100% are legitimate coupons. They either must have been posted on the company’s website or released directly from the company.

I’m sure KMart never expected the coupon to go viral and I’m glad that they removed it from their website promptly when they realized it was having a much wider reach than they were expecting. But I am very disappointed that it appears dozens upon dozens of their store cashiers, managers, and corporate customer service representatives haven’t a clue what constitutes a “fraudulent coupon”.

It appears like KMart has re-released the $10/$20 coupon stating it is specifically good in a few cities, but I’m hearing so many reports of it being turned down at stores all across the nation and my readers being accused of fraud, that I’m leery to tell anyone to even bother to try to use it–even if you live in one of those cities.

My sincere apologies to you all that a coupon I posted here has caused you frustration and wasted gas, time, and effort.

Comments

1. jodi says

I just called all 3 of my kmarts in my city and all 3 said nope it is meant for NY stores wow it reads”valid at all kmart locations” on the bottom of the coupon. Sears and Kmart officially SUCK!

2. Teresa says

KMart and Sears went off my shopping list years ago, basically because of the way they treat us and the terrible state of the Kmart stores I have been in.
    As far as coupons, I have experienced another store that ‘takes the cake’ here in my city. My local Food City told me they didn’t take internet coupons, so I let it go till I had no choice but to save money any way I could. Since they are the closest store for groceries and usually the best prices, I contacted corporate offices and they said the store would accept the coupons. Next trip, my local store accepted them with no comment but a lot of dirty looks. Now, a few months later, they suddenly say they can’t accept them. Three visits later with different explanations and requirements, the manager says they will accept up to one dollar max per coupon and NO coupons for ANYthing free, even with purchase. They claim they were receiving way too many fraudulent coupons!

When I heard about this deal and then saw it was for Kmart…I quickly decided I wasn’t up for a hassle. And yup, here are the reports rolling in. I can’t believe they are still in business….even Martha Stewart bailed on them.

• Tee says

@Kim,
      I agree with Kim! For all of us who tried to use the coupon without success, I believe a boycott is in order. There is power in numbers! I believe we should let K-mart know that as customers, we will not stand for this type of treatment. If you print a coupon that states “valid at all kmart locations”, that is exactly what should happen and the coupon should be honored as such.

4. CK says

Regardless of whether the coupon was only intended for use at certain stores, it CLEARLY states on the coupon – “VALID AT ALL KMART STORE LOCATIONS”

There is a whole paragraph of restrictions – if they didn’t want it to be used at all stores, it should say NOT VALID AT ALL KMART LOCATIONS, or “FOR USE AT PARTICIPATING STORES ONLY”

I was not allowed to use my coupon last night and sent a complaint to corporate when i got home. This morning, I got a response saying they value their customers, so they are sending me a new coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase. WHAT??? Yes, you refused to take your own coupon, costing me $10 I had no intention of spending… so to make up for it, you expect me to spend even MORE money at your store? I THINK NOT.

5. Jennifer says

Crystal, thanks so much for posting this. I was excited to use the coupon on some shoes and tried getting the coupon to open again yesterday morning and it just opened a blank document, so I thought something was wrong…and I’m a web designer. I figured I could ‘fix it’ myself. Thanks for the note and we don’t hold you to any blame! Thanks for all you do.

6. Maria145 says

My Kmart had signs posted on all the entrance doors stating the coupon was not valid. At least I knew before I had my cart full!

7. Kristy says

I emailed Kmart and they could care less. A good company would have taken care of this PR problem by now. I don’t know if I can personally put them out of business but I plan to stay AWAY from Kmart and advise others to do the same.

I just wanted to let you know that my local KMart in Pineville, LA allowed me to use the coupon. The cashier figured out that she had to hit the “Food Coupon” button on her cashier for it to work instead of running it as a regular coupon…I used the coupon for curtains, not food and it still worked :) Maybe some others out there will read this and try it. Thanks!

9. Mindy Wojewodzic says

I did get to use it at the Plattsburgh, NY store, but I only got to use it once. I went back the day after I used the first one and they told me I couldn’t use it again. Since the code was the same (I printed it multiple times), their system said “could not find” when scanned. I had 2 managers rudely telling me that “you can’t just keep getting the discount!” I tried to argue the 1 per transaction…not 1 per customer, which was printed right on the coupon, but they refused to honor it. So, I left my items at the store and took my business elsewhere, where I ended up getting a better deal anyway…Thanks for posting though :)

• Mindy Wojewodzic says

@Mindy Wojewodzic,
      ! last thing…I paired the coupon with 2 of the Huggies coupons, so I got 2 Huggies for $4 total when the coupon went through…so at least I got something out of Kmart besides grief!

10. Tina says

I havenever had a problem with coupons and my local K Mart. I always go to customer service if they *may* be a problem with a cashier, which was the case over the weekend at my local Shaws and a $3/2 coupon for Suave and Degree deodrant. The singles were on sale for 1.79, and sold out! So I grabbed a two pack, went to customer service and he approved the coupon on the 2 pack. The cashier tried to refuse me!

Anyway, moral of the story is, I have never had any problem locally!

11. Tina says

On their Facebook page:
    A coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase has had unauthorized circulation and we have had to stop accepting it at most stores. The coupons will still be honored in the intended stores in the New York, Baltimore and Chicago area. We regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers. Thank you for your continued patronage… and we do look forward to sharing other deals and offers with you in the future.

12. Diane says

You know, Kmart is going out of business sooner rather than later. Unorganized stores, narrow isles, unmarked prices, long waits in line add up to customers who just avoid shopping at your store. Knowing this, I thought, “wow! a good coupon to get people in the store – this is a good way to start to turn it around, Kmart.”

Of course, they just baited and switched me – for the last time. There are no double coupon deals worth the trouble of shopping there.

And, no, I’m not e-mailing them to tell them about my bad experience…I’m voting with my pocketbook elsewhere.

Like the Tom Cruise character in Rain Main said, “Kmart sucks!”

13. Raz says

I used that coupon four times last week with no problem. One of the cashier’s even said a lot of people were coming in with it. Didn’t bat an eye at accepting it.

Now, today, the cashier said it needed a store number on the coupon to be valid. What? I called for a manager. The gal from CS came over and rudely told my it won’t go thru. Told the cashier to scan it. It did after a few seconds and I got my discount.

It’s good until 5/15/10 and I plan to use it (and challenge them, if I have to) again.

I am NOT a thief but that’s what I felt like. How embarrassing!

It was on K-Mart’s website, for Pete’s sake! What are they thinking?

14. scott says

I think that they just should have sucked it up and admitted their mistake and taken the coupon everywhere. Its fine to take it down and kill it on their site, but for anyone that had already printed it, it should have been honored. Period.

15. sandra says

I havent been to a kmart in forever it seems.So could someone tell me when do they double coupons? is it all the locations? How many can you use & is it up to a certain $ amount only? Thanks You

16. Carrie says

The coupon didn’t work for me. :( I spent 45 minutes shopping in the store only to spend another 20 at the register before the cashier wandered over to customer service then came back to tell me the coupon was only good in NY. When my husband questioned her on where it said that on the coupon she went to the next register over and picked up a small card that said they were not honoring the coupon! We left all of our purchases at the register.
    The sad thing is, we even had to argue with the cashier to get back the “regular” coupons we intended to use! She was going to keep ALL the coupons we handed her, even though we didn’t buy anything!
    KMart has been so frustrating in the past, I thought I would give it another try with this deal. But, no luck. The store is usually out of what I want anyway, so I don’t intend to take any more business there. They are usually higher priced on items than my other local stores, I just thought it would be worth it with a really good coupon.
    Bad business practices, rude customer service, no thanks!
    Although I must say THUMBS UP to Kmart for promoting OTHER local businesses – since that is where all of my money is going from now on!

17. SearsCares says

To Crystal and other commenters on this site,
    First allow me to apologize for not finding this post sooner. Typically we see these much more quickly and are able to reach out in a timelier manner. My name is Brian and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had these issues with the K-mart coupon. Crystal posted it in good faith and it has caused you folks unintended frustration and for that we do apologize. It was intended for only a select number of cities as a promotional offer. It got posted to our website incorrectly and it caused many customers to be inconvenienced and to become frustrated. When we realized this we pulled it immediately. Of course we want all K-mart customers to not be frustrated by this unfortunate event so we are offering to send a coupon that does not have any limitations on what store will accept it. We are offering a 10.00 off any 50.00 purchase coupon redeemable at any K-mart store. The coupon is good through 12/31/10. If you would like my team to send this coupon to you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us and we’d be happy to send it to you. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at searscares@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian J.
    Senior Case Manager
    Sears Cares

P.S. Since we have merged with K-mart and both entities fall under the Sears Holdings incorporation, we have been working very hard to brink K-mart to the level of service that customers expect. It is a work in progress so please bear with us while we work through this process. Your feedback is absolutely necessary as we cannot improve what we don’t know frustrates you as our customer. Having negative experiences with K-mart representatives is unacceptable by any standard of ours and we are working very diligently to change that behavior. This is our first goal for the future.