Ask the Readers: Printing coupons inexpensively?

With all the great printable coupons which have been available recently, I thought it would be great to post this question that Andrea recently emailed and asked:

I am new to printing internet coupons and it has taken a toll on
my printer cartridges. Where have you found/heard to be the cheapest
place to buy/refill them? -Andrea

I'd love to hear your best money-saving suggestions and ideas for printing coupons (and everything else!) inexpensively.

Comments

1. Lena says

What a great topic! As someone earlier said I too buy INK itself and refill cartriges. It is super easy and saves me headache of running out of ink. Ok here is the link, I buy from this guy. http://stores.ebay.com/FULLERINKJETS He has kits for around $5-$20 and they last forever, his shipping is very fast and the package is small enough to fit in my mailbox. And also, every time i print coupons, i just let the coupon print and quickly press CANCELL button, so that the extra information doesn’t waste the ink and paper. My system is relatively green and cheap!!! ))) LOL Then I use the rest of the paper to print other coupons on it.

2. SarahJane says

We splurged and got a (low end) laser printer so I could print handouts for the jr. Sunday School (~70 kids). We bought it 3 years ago and I’ve yet to replace the toner.

3. Lana says

Here is one I have not seen here-I use the $10 gift card coupons on prescriptions every time I see them for Target-then I “buy” my cartridges there with the gift cards. They sometimes have gift card deals on cartridges too and that only sweetens the deal. I have had problems with the refilled cartridges from Walgreens so I have quit doing that as it is not worth the hassle.

4. M.R. says

I agree with a few other posters on Laser printers. We use a Brother Laser(monochrome) printer which we purchased for $70 AR and we have been using it for about 7 mos. now and we still have about 80% of toner life left in it.

A High-Yield toner cartridge costs around $35 and supposed to yield around 5000 copies!

Plus, it has wireless connectivity which is a big convenience.

In the past, a couple of times we had gone and purchased new inkjet printers which were on sale for around $30 instead of spending on cartridges which would cost a little more than that actually.

5. dave says

My tip would be to only print the coupons you actually need to print. I once mistakenly chose the print all coupons option and wound up with a LOT of wasted paper and ink. And how many Sears Portrait coupons do I really need?

6. Cindy Pearson says

We have 2 Epson printers and a couple of years ago someone put me on to a website called megatoners.com. Color ink cartridges are $2.99 and Black is $3.99. Not long ago they were a dollar less than that! Shipping is $5 for orders up to $50. We have never had any trouble with their compatible cartridges (and they have them for all printers) but years ago when we tried refilling cartridges, our printer was eventually ruined.

7. M.R. says

Edit to my previous post:

The yield from a high-yield toner cartridge for the Brother Laser printer is 2600 copies and not 5000.

I, too, had many questions from readers about how to save moeny on ink! I wrote an article on how I upgraded to a laser printer! My initial investment was under $130 and I have not had to replace the toner yet! I have been running off of the same toner cartridge for 10 months now! Once I have to replace it…it will cost me $80…but definitely worth it for another 1 1/2 years or more of printing power!

You can read my article through this link!

9. Cheryl says

I bought BROTHER all in one for about $50 after rebates at Staples 2 years ago.
    The refilled cartridges are about $3.50 each at INKJETSUPERSTORE.com
    i LOVE this printer and this cartridge place. Super cheap and lasts forever.

We bought a laser jet printer (Samsung ML-2510) this past year and buy toner refill kits online. One refill kit (which includes 3 large bottles of toner and new fuses to reset the printer’s computer) costs around $20 and can print out 6000 pages before we need to buy another kit.

Wow…so thankful you asked this. The hubs has been *heavily* hinting that we should get a lazer printer, so it looks like all the other husbands agree! Thanks for the tips!! :)

12. Sara says

We have a brand new c540n Lexmark laser printer for less than a month. Guess what? The inks are low! They sell the printer with a small amount of ink so that you have to purchase new cartridges relatively soon. They cost a ton!

I have a few places that I buy compatible ink online at depending on who has the best deal going at the time (I want to pay less then $5 per cartridge). Also for those coupons that print out at the top of the page I turn it over and print another at the top. Another thing I do is once my coupon has printed if I see there is an advertisement printing I hit cancel. HTH

14. laura van delden says

I got some at inkgrabber.com…. I got 20 cartridges for $45! A mix of colour and black, and they have actually worked well. I was very sceptical, but so far, it’s been good (I’ve used 8 so far)

We use a laser jet for our black and white coupons. We have found that if we print our Target ones in color, they scan better. We use our HP 4-in-1 for that.

We tried Cartridge World but it printed so awful. We brought it back and tried another time with them, and it was still bad. So we are very leary of them. But, maybe we’ll have to try Costco.

16. Michele says

I bought an inkjet printer that had been modified with a big tank of ink on the outside. It feeds into the cartridges. I can do 5000 pages before it needs to be refilled, & it only costs $15 to refill.

17. Sharayah says

I buy mine from Ebay. The cartridges I use cost around $40 a piece at retail stores. I get them for a little under $10 a piece on ebay, that’s including shipping!

18. Cara says

Overstock usually has some good buys, don’t use any refills if you value your printer, have been told by two good techie friends, that most repairs call are because of them

I buy remanufactured ink at http://www.supermediastore.com. My Epson cartridges are kinda pricey so I can get a great deal here. But, sometimes the printer likes to say it can’t identify the cartridges (like right now!!!) so I have to play with them sometimes to get them to work. that is the only hassle. it’s worth it.

20. Alli says

The best suggestion I can make is to cancel the print just after the coupon is printed. We don’t need the ad that prints out afterward and it saves ink!

21. anita says

I put my printer on the faster and low setting (fast draft) and when the ink get low, I moved it up to slow and more ink. I also print on the back of paper that is no longer needed. My mom brings some home from work and that helps out a lot.
    Also when printing from the single page of a product and you are allowed to print 2, I print on one side and then turn the paper over and around and print on the back.
    Helps a lot. Also cheaper printers use a lot of ink, like the $40 Lenmark. Nicer printers do better at ink.

Years ago a rep from HP suggested a Laserjet printer to save on ink when printing out so many mailing labels was putting me in a pinch for ink.. I have the same one I bought about 10+ years ago.. works great. I did buy a new one recently, because Staples had a deal too good to pass up. The toners cost a bit up front.. but you can print thousands of pages. when it starts streaking.. pull it out and shake it up.. the last toner I had I used for nearly a year before it ran out.

23. Yvette says

I worked for an insurance company and the office had a laser printer and inkjet printers we were told to use the laser printer whenever possible. The laser printer cartridge did not have to be replaced for almost 16 months and we printed A LOT of papers being in the car/house insurance busines.

Soooo I would recommend saving up for a laser printer and in the long run you’d be saving a ton of $$$ :)

Yes,while ink costs are something to consider, I found that I was struggling with the amount of paper I was consuming on a daily basis! Sooooo, I had my husband bring home scratch paper from the recycle bins in the copy room at his office! Works like a charm for all of those prints I was doing. Especially when you are printing from a site that is doing one coupon per page… it’s a great way to cut costs, and help cut waste as well :)

25. Bethany says

I got the best inkjet printer I’ve ever had this past Christmas (Canon MP700) and that was before I discovered & printing coupons so I really lucked out. The inkjet refills were extremely cheap at Meritline.com, which I would recommend. The only downside is that the replacement cartridges won’t show the ink levels but I keep track of when I change them out & check them from time to time. I also *only* print the coupon, not the recipe or whatever else might print on that page. Always set your printer settings to “Print Preview” so you can see beforehand what is about to print and whether or not you need to cancel the print job at any given point.

You need a laser printer, inkjets are WAY too expensive. I’d recommend an HP laserjet 5 or 6, 6p, 6MP. Buy one on eBay. They can be had for $50 or less. Then toners can be purchased on ebay for $20-30 each. I will literally go years on a single toner cartridge.

Plus laserjet will print a more crisp image and you’ll have less trouble getting the barcodes to scan than with ink jets.

27. Beth says

Just wanted to add that although refilling is cheaper in the short term, I would be careful – I got our ink cartridges refilled at Walgreens and our printer hasn’t printed properly since. I took the refilled ones back to Walgreens and told them they weren’t working properly – they checked them and said they appeared to be working fine. No money back, no replacement. I had to go buy new cartridges and even after installing the brand-name refills our printer just hasn’t printed well at all since I tried the Walgreens refills.

We have an HP photo-printer, so maybe it works well for other printers – but definitely not for ours. Just a heads up!

Get a laser printer that prints 7000 pages before needing to be refilled.

Sam’s Club carries refill laser cartridges for about $25 less EACH than we could find them anywhere else.

I have a black and white laser printer that has lasted me several years. I usually only have to replace the cartridge once a year, and I print schoolwork every day for my children.

29. WV says

I’ve had good luck with toner from Monoprice. Cheap — cables are a great bargain there, too.

30. Marnie says

I got a new printer this year made by Kodak-the ink is ALREADY cheap-only $10 for B&W, and $15.00 for Color. My last one was ruined by…guess what??? Refilled cartridges from Walgreen’s. It was a nice Lexmark, was sad to see it go. But, I HIGHLY recommend this new Kodak ESP all-in-one, and you can’t beat the price for the ink.

31. Elisabeth says

I get mine refilled at walgreens for $10, however printing coupons has become a problem as our local walmart and several other retailers don’t accept them. I called walmart about this issue and it turns out the store’s manager has the reins on this she has choosen for her store not to accept internet printed coupons. Our local manager isn’t shall we say customer friendly.

Just a tip make sure your walmart or other store accepts internet coupons because some stores are now choosing not to do this.

32. Robin says

I use a Lexmark printer and up until the past 2 weeks have been buying new cartridges each time from Office Depot. I finally decided we had to do something different since I was going thru ink like there was no tomorrow! So, we tried at Walgreen’s but something about our cartridges couldn’t be filled because their equipment needed upgrading or something. Anyway, we discovered Cartridge World here in town and went there. For a little less than $25 we had both cartridges, color and b/w refilled. So far it hasn’t worked, the black refuses to print correctly and we’ve taken it back once already and plan to take it back again in the morning. But, I have to say the staff at the store here in Valdosta, Ga are some of the most nicest and helpful folks I’ve ever met! Hopefully the problem will be remedied tomorrow and I can continue to be a coupon printing fool! LOL!!!

When you do the math, and figure out the cost per page (cpp in printer lingo), you will find the only way to go is with a laser printer. AND this week, OfficeMax has a Samsung on sale for only $60! (check it out here: http://officemax.com/catalog/category.jsp?catId=cat1430036 ). The cartridges are more expensive, but you only have to buy them what, once every year or two, as opposed to every month or two for ink carts. I keep an ink printer for printing things like business cards, but most of my printing, and most especially my coupon printing, is done on my laser.

34. Amanda says

houseofinks.com has great deals on ink for printers. We got our ink cartridges for about 7 dollars a piece.

35. Theresa says

I have an Epson RX380 and have been printing on the same set of cartridges for over a year.. and I do a LOT of high graphics printing (Photos n such at 600-1200 DPI). My secret? I purchased a continuous ink system on ebay for around $60 bucks. When you run out, you just add 4 more ounces of inks which are available for $20 a set. I have yet to refill mine! The print quality? I cannot tell the difference and have printed many pictures of the grand-babies to frame and they have not lost their color or faded.